Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my newer cat I can now venture into deeper waters out of Dauphin Island. When in depths 200 to 450 are there non-electric reels which are better suited for bottom fishing there. I need some non-bank breaking suggestions. Advice appreciated!

·
Registered
338 Posts
If you're open to spinning reels, Diawa BG model is inexpensive and is a sealed reel. I have the 6500 model and caught two yellowfin last year...one at 75lbs and the other at 94lbs.
As far as decent reels for the money, the Penn Squall 2 speeds aren't too expensive...however expensive is a relative term when offshore fishing. You may scour craigslist, the classifieds on FB and these forums...always someone getting rid of gear.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Look at Shimano TLD reels. There are a range of sizes, and single or two-speed models. They are trouble free and last forever if you take care of them relatively well.

Look at pairing it with a Star Aerial rod and you've got a solid, somewhat inexpensive combo that will work well for you.

·
Registered
69 Posts
i use a penn 50 visx 2 speed but it cost about the same as a diawa tanacom. we have tried the 8000 spinning reels and the smaller 25 squall but its way harder with the weight needed. 200' is not to bad but 400' wont be fun.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Deep drop gear

Looking at the Diawa Tanacom electrics and deep drop rods. Is it fair to say that it is difficult to fish more than two of these deep drop rod/reels at once while attempting to stay over your chosen bottom spot? And finally the deep drop rods come in mostly 5’6 or 6’6” lengths. Would like some opinions on rod lengths and strengths to pursue groupers and tiles. Any help appreciated!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Fishing deep with multiple reels depends on current,if drifting or if you are backing down occasionally to maintain location. Its hard enough keeping one line out the prop fighting the current. bent butt rod goes with out saying. As far as length of rod shorter usually means stronger. I have landed every thing from amber jack to a 7' dusky on my penn ally 6'6.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Get a regular ole senator 114, take the handle off and attach a cordless drill to the stud that holds the handle.
Like riding a moped or a fat gal!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts