Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today at about 3:45 I joined Hobie Nation. Picked up a Dune 2015 Hobie Outback from Everything Kayak in Gulfport, MS. Great group of people in there and got me in and out in no time. With the Yak I picked up: 8" Gear Track, 4" Gear Track, Yak Attack Zooka Tube, Yak Attack Lowrance mount, 2- 1.5" Ram Balls, Sailing rudder and an extra round hatch organizer. Debated on the Rect hatch but just wasn't sold on it just yet.

I had already bought the Lowrance Elite 4 HDI. With the "Data Cable" how are yall accommodating that with the rubber grommets? Are we hacking off the data cable, installing an extra watertight fitting? Just curious.

Here is some pics of my new baby, already placed some "ink" on her. Plan to chase some reds/specks in the bay tomorrow morning with her.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Very nice, I picked up my Outback last Wednesday from a Marine that was headed to the desert. He had just bought it in January, and got new orders in February.

I didn't cut off my data cable, I have commitment issues. I ran the cables through one hobie plug and just used goop to get a watertight seal.

·
Super Moderator
27,956 Posts
Man, you gotta be a bachelor!!! Yak in the living room/clubs in the corner. hahaha You need to give that good looking sled it's own room!!!! Congrats!!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Funny Jason, I was thinking the same thing. Golf clubs and a yak, let me know when you're ready for a fins and skins challenge day. Fish in the morning and 18 in the afternoon! Nice boat.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Nice kayak!

You don't need the NMEA cable - I verified with Lowrance customer support. I snipped that cable off at the plug and capped it with some Marine Goop to keep the water out. Then the power and transducer cables will fit through a 2 hole Hobie through-hull fitting. Works fine.

I put some dielectric grease on the pins and plug to keep corrosion down.

Question through Lowrance Website Contact Form
Me: I have the Elite-4 HDI FF/GPS. I intend to install it on my kayak. There are two (2) cables on the power cable - the power cable and an NMEA data cable. Do I need the NMEA cable and if not, can I cut it off?”

Lowrance: Thank you for your inquiry. The NMEA 0183 wires are used to connect a VHF radio to the unit for GPS communication. If you don't have a VHF radio then yes you can cut the wires off. Thank you for choosing Navico products! Navico Technical Support

Attachments

·
MILF - Man I Love Fishing
806 Posts
I'm getting ready to mount my Elite 5. Instead of snipping it, I picked up two of those through hull wire fittings. I got a white one for the transducer and a black on for power.

Data cables and power cables running side by side is bad juju for quality of data retrieval. It probably wouldn't affect much with this setup, but there will definitely be some noise/crossover.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Man, you gotta be a bachelor!!! Yak in the living room/clubs in the corner. hahaha You need to give that good looking sled it's own room!!!! Congrats!!!

Lol, naw not a bachelor actually newly engaged! Just lucked out on this one. She actually pitched the clubs for me as a Valentine's present a year ago lol. She also suggested putting it inside till I get a cover for it since we don't have a garage on our house. Lol

FL- thanks for the heads up, looks like I've got some tinkering I do now!

Appreciate the kind words fellas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Nice.
Is that the factory seat ? looks comfy, and hi and dry.

Yes sir, that's the new Vantage seat.

Main thing that swayed me to get an outback instead of a PA was weight and the fact they put the vantage seat on the outbacks. Comfy is an understatement lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts