Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I bought the Moultrie I40 after reading several posts on here about it. My issue is this, the day pics look awesome(sorta)...the night pics-well, for the lack of a better term - they suck!:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead

I am going to post a couple pics so you see what I mean....

Need I even show more??? I am so frustrated - anyone have any ideas for me at all???? Oh and btw - it is set for 1 minute, 2 shots, enhanced. If you have an I40....would you please post some pics and let me know what settings you are using....at this point I almost have to wonder if something is wrong w/ the camera. I have also noticed that the first pic is clear and second is dark during the day...see next pic - it was the 2nd shot of the does.

This is sooo not what I was expecting from the Moultrie I40:nonono:nonono:nonono

Any ideas are welcome....just someone please help a brotha out!:doh

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
i cant remember what exact settings are without looking at mine...but i think its on high? 3 shot 1 min....mine has had some hazy night pics but it was when it was down around 28-30deg. are all your night pics like that?

a

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
You might want to check the near/far setting to make sure that the setting is on far. I dont have the I40 but I just got my mom the I540 or something like that, and it is really good within about 20 ft or so, after that is blur's a little.

·
Registered
439 Posts
1 get it out of the sunset, that will jack it up some. 2 I wonder if the lens fogged over? Here are some pics from an I50

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep - all the nights seem that way....was wondering if maybe I should try the high setting rather than the enhanced???? I guess I will swing by tomorrow after work again and change the setting. As far as the "near/far" setting - to my knowledge there is not one on this camera...

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NASCAR

I know you are talking bout that last pic...but that is facingeast, and was the 2nd of 2 shots in the morning - which is why I am baffled...why a pretty darn clean east looking first shot, but a dark as heck second shot...keep in mind there is approx 13sec delay between the shots...

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Chuck, Call Moultrie. They have excellent customer service. I bought a d-40 last year that wouldn't take night pic's. I sent it back in and they sent me a brand new one.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
one thing i try to remember is, when possible aim the camera north or south so the sun does not affect the picture. it also looks like some of the night shots may be during heavy fog. hope that helps.

·
Registered
296 Posts
i agree moultrie has an excellent customer service and i have been thru their system with d-40 and m-40's and gotten new cameras. however, this will take several weeks when you need the camera working correctly today. these pictures are not what you should be getting looking east or west or high or low setting. you have camera problems.

if you just purchased camera, i would pick camera up immediately and return to purchasing location and get a new camera or a refund. they had software upgrades on their web site, but the last time i looked they had stopped upgrades. i could not understand why?

if you got camera from basspro or academy you will not have a problem with refund.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will be going to move this camera tomorrow to be sure it is never facing the sun!:doh

I also plan on calling Moultrie to see what they suggest as far as the setting for the best performance(esp at night)...heck, who better to know than them right?

Thank you guys for all of your input!:bowdown

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
good luck. last comment i have is this. i bought my first I-40 last hunting season. i just got my new one in the mail a couple weeks ago. well, my new one is not the same quality as the first one. the first one had all stainless screws and the new one has plastic. i hope thats the only thing they made cheeper because i was real pleased with the first I-40.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree about the plastic screws...pretty cheap - in fact they already seemed to a littleharder to turn today - and the camera was justput out on Saturday, and it has rained, but still....I just hope I am not seeing a trend starting here! lol

·
Banned
744 Posts
Hope you have some better luck with the new settings on the camera. I would worry to much about the plastic screws. If one of them were to break off, they would for sure be easier to get out and replace than a stainless screws. They may have had some problems in prior cameras, and changed because of that.

·
Super Moderator
28,126 Posts
What bout the fog??? It's been foggy near waterways/swamp-bottoms??? I'm buying an I40 tomorrow and after reading/seeing post, I'm looking forward to mine still!!!:letsdrink

·
Registered
609 Posts
If you are sure you have good batteries, it looks to me like your having fog in the air. Give it another chance. My night pics lately have had fog due to warmer weather. They look just like the ones you posted. I think the fog and facing the sun rise/set is the only problem.

Bird

·
Banned
744 Posts
Where are you buying yours? I can get you one if needed, but MIkes is having a good sale right now that I can't touch. They are selling cheaper than my cost. As far as the fog goes,I personally don't think that you would be able to get most any camera to get a clean shot through a fog.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I own 4 I40's and I have not had a problem with any of them. I run mine on high resolution instead of enhanced due to the shutter staying open longer on enhanced. This give's me excellent picture's day and night. I ran them on enhanced when I first got them , but you endup with more blurring at night. The picture's posted definitely look like they are on a foggy night, plus the deer are a little far out there. The video quality is really good also. I doagree that they have cheapened the camera up a little with the plastic screw's.

·
Registered
105 Posts
There is no doubt that the issues you are having are moisture related, whether it be fog or condensationcaused bythe rapid heating from the sun. I own quite a few I40's and have had the same thing happen, try some No Fog on the lens. In Florida we are going to have this problem with most cameras, it is not specific to I40's. Here are some of my night images. The first one was just after a cold front, the temp change caused the condensation.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
HEY GUYS - THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL OF YOUR INPUT AND HELP!!!!! :bowdown:letsdrink

Here is the deal - I noticed this morning that in a pic on 12/29 at 12:15pm, that it said it was 104 outside....only off by like 35 degrees! So anyway - I took the advise from last night and called Moultrie-who by the way are awesome!- while speaking with the gentleman - 'Brock' -he asked me to email him the pics so he could have a look at them...in the process of sending them to him - I asked him how accurate the temp reading is on their cameras as I see all the one posted on here seemed to be ACUTALLY ACCURATE which mine doesnot seem to be. Brock told me they are basically +/- 5 degrees....so I pointed out that on Monday at noon the temp here was about 70ish....but read 104 - he immediately stopped me and said there is absolutely something wrong with this camera!!! :banghead:banghead:banghead

The good news is I called Stan up at Mike's and they will swap it out for me! :clap:bowdown:clap

I will keep ya'll posted!!!

Once again - thanks for all your help!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts