Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after some thought I am debating on making my Pescador motorized. I have a old 45lb thrust MinnKota from my river boat that I could put on it. I was debating on bracketing it to the stern where the rudder holes are pre-drilled but I am concerned that the torque from the motor could strip the bolts out. Ive seen guys side mount the motor after connecting it to a 4x4 or something like that. Not wild about that due to the way we bring fish yak side for landing. Also keeping weight capacity in mind, I'm 240 and the weight limit on the Pescador is 350.

Anyone have any experience doing this with a Pescador?

·
Registered
243 Posts
I put a 45lb thrust on a Jackson Big Tuna a couple of years ago. I made a bracket using a right angle bracket from Home Depot, a treated 2x4, and a small piece of plywood. I removed the head of the trolling motor and mounted the switch in a waterproof box from Radio Shack. I controlled the speed and direction from my seat. I rigged up some simple lines to steer using the foot rests, and another line to tilt it up. It work out pretty nicely. With a smaller Jon boat trolling motor battery , I could go 5-6 hours on a charge. Two things to keep in mind, the extra weight, and you will have to register it with the state, but the cost is small. I still paddled for the exercise, but I could go further and know I could get back in heavy winds or current.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Skiffer, thats what I was looking for. As you stated, the weight limit is what has me iffy. I'm 250lbs as of right now and the weight limit is 350lbs on the pescador. So I am toying with the idea right now, 250lbs+ 18-20lbs for battery+ 5-10lbs for the motor = 280lbs (high end of threshold). Which leaves me 70lbs of leeway for gear and haul. I typically travel pretty light when it comes to gear 3-4 rods, tackle bag with assorted weights, rigs, etc. and an ice chest with some ice packs. I see it being feasible, but part of me doesn't want to get to close to the weight restriction.

·
Master of Disaster
3,053 Posts
We did a bit more customization on on the motor for our Ocean Kayak Drifter and Zest Two for the trolling motor mounting. First I cut about a foot or so off the shaft. Gotta be careful with those wires! Then I customized a mount for the motor to connect at the rudder mounting on the kayaks- without altering the kayaks themselves because we still used the rudder often. The only downside was (as a first modification - ) the mount we made prevented the trolling motor from having the ability to "tilt" up. But it was nice being able to use the OK rudder peddles to steer with. Later I also added an "on- off" switch so I didnt always have to lean back to (just a simple boat switch as a kill switch). I still had to control forward/ reverse, and speed on the handle. And, of course, the other downside was that heavy Marine Battery. But they do make smaller deep cycle batteries now- not sure how long it would last, but definitely takes some weight off. I'll try and post some pics later.
And I didn't see it mentioned, don't forget any vessel, canoe or kayak, that is motorized will be required to be registered.

Also, there are several companies that make kayak trolling motor mounting systems...

http://www.standnfish.com/store/index.html#

http://www.islandhopperoutboards.com/kayak-motor-mount.html

http://www.keywestpaddlesports.com/motor bracket.htm

·
Master of Disaster
3,053 Posts
Continued....
Here are the pics,
Right after the first modification, before the rudder peddles were added

After the rudder control installation

...and the switches installed- here one is the motor kill switch, the other is for my Navigational lights

and here is the rudder and trolling motor for the Zest Two-

And here I am towing the Zest Two with the Drifter

Sorry the pics of the motor and mount aren't any closer- I cut the trolling motor mount (cutting it this way prevented it from being able to tilt anymore- but it was the only way to mount it to the kayak the way I wanted with the rudder control cables) and added two steel "T" brackets on the mount so I could take a long bolt and run it through the "T" brackets and the mount hole for the rudder on the kayak.

·
Registered
243 Posts
As mentioned in a previous post, I used a small deep cycle battery from Academy. It costs $49, 40 amp hrs, and weighs 23 lbs. I was able to place it below deck in the Big Tuna, which lowered the center of gravity, improving stability. However, the agm battery is spillproof and will recharge much quicker. If using above deck, I would use the agm, even though it has less amp hrs and costs more.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Better figure more weight for a battery.

Even the minimum battery for that motor will weigh 40 pounds.

I had an 18 thrust 7 pound Watersnake motor on my MiniX. Mounting was simple and it would make the little yak go faster than I could paddle. My battery weighed 28#. (Mobility scooter battery)

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have 2 Ascend FS128T yaks with 30 pound thrust motors. I just got done registering them in Florida and they made me title them as well. That was an extra $30 each on top of the other fees. I will post pictures once im complete with the motor upgrades but initial testing in my pond was a blast. My goal is to be able to troll up the river a few miles against the current and then drift back down..... i think its going to work well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts