Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I just bought this motor a 92 Johnson 15 horse shortshaft. I knew it had a problem when I bought so no surprises. I'm hoping I can fix it.The guy said it rough idled. Well I've been tinkering with it today and here is what I got. It will start but only with the choke on. It does NOT rough idle. It is very smooth but dies shortly after it fires up. It sounds as if it is running out of gas. If you spray carb cleaner in the carb as it dies it will rev back up. You can keep it running indefinatly like that but as soon as you stop thw motor will die. Then you choke it and it will fire right back up. I took the carb. Apart some but couldn't find any jets. I was figuring this might be the problem. The only thing I see that regulates the fuel is the lean mixture control knob.(Does this motor have fuel jets in the carb?) I took that out cleaned it wih cleaner replaced it and kept cranking it throughout all differwnt adjustments. I get the same results still. I also squezed the bulb as it was running to see if maybe it was a fuel pump problem but that had no effect on it. So I kinda ruled a bad fuel pump out. The motor is a 92 two stroke short shaft. I'm hoping someone can give me some suggestions as to where the problem may lie.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took the carb apart. Double D I checked out the emulsion tube and it looks OK. I did however notice that the tube connecting to the float and carb bowl was crimped very badly. I shortened the hose and that uncrimped it most of the way. The hose was weakened at the crimp so it didn't come all the way out. I also cleaned every hole on the carb with copper wire and carb cleaner. I put it back on the motor and it ran a little better. It is perfect at full throtle and I can back off a bit now and it will still run fine but after backing off so far it just dies. It still won't hold an idle though it is doing better. I guess I will take it apart for one more cleaning and if it is still acting up then I will take it to a mechanic. I hate to do that though because it seems like something simple. Any suggestions or something I may be overlooking???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.