Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor came over last night and we set on the porch and watch the water rise. We had a conversation about the fish that was most fun to catch. To me the fish that I enjoy trying to catch most is Permit via Flyrod. My neighbor claimed that Blue Marlin were far more sporting (although he has never tried to catch a shallow water Permit with a Flyrod). I have had more shots than I care to tell, and I have a total of 5actually caught. Granted the type of fishing my neighbor does vs what I do is very different in nature, but it really made me think, what is the most sporting fish to try to catch??? Curious to anyone's thoughts????

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
any fish that triples the line size

i.e. a bull red over 24lbs on 8lb test

or a 60lb king or amberjack on 20 spinning tackle

my favorite is a fish that will run well enough that im scared ill get spooled, but i cant lock down on him because my line is too light... thats when im having a good time

although i havent done much of it (none in salt water, only a few times in fresh) fly fishing seems to be the most "sporting" id love to wrestle with a strong saltwater fish one day on flytackle

garbo, check your pms.

·
Banned
910 Posts
Good question, I really think it is subjective. I personally enjoy light tackle and I would have to say Jack Crevalle are an absolute blast on light tackle. But if you are talking bigger game I would say wahoo really tickled my fancy. Never caught bill fish so can't comment on that. I really think it is subjective though.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
any big fish on light line.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
That is a pretty good question, I don't have any experience with the offshore species. So I would have to say sharks on light tackle from shore.....and by light I mean 15lb line. I love catching a 4-5 foot blacktip on 15lb. It's such a great fight! People always look at me funny when I'm tying on a 100lb steel leader and using 15lb line.....but dang it it's fun! Bull reds on 10lb test, negotiating bridge pilings is a close second!

I'm looking forward to having a chance at them hoos, dolphin, and tuna one day!!! It's just not in the budget at this point

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Nothing compares to Blue Marlin. Think bullfighting with a string if you want, but catching something big enough to eat a child or even kill you is the key. Plus, its a team affair as opposed to light tackle fishing. Of course, its great fun to catch a 30# permit on a flyrod, but IMHO there is no comparison to a 600# blue eating an 18" lure right off the transom and then freight training 400 yds across the surface in 30 seconds! Green water coming over the transom, buckets floating everywhere, people screaming and that constant sound of a tiny chainsaw as the line screams out - that there is fun!

All the rest is just finger food helping you kill time.

·
Registered
397 Posts
im going to try to catch a winter Bonita with a push button reel this winter i think that will be very sporting

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
blue marlin

i caught about a 375 pounder this past summer. longest continuous screaming drag i've ever heard, did about a450 yard run without letting up! what an experience :)

i can't imagine a 600+ pounder!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would have to say the mako shark. A mako will sky like a marlin but is more dangerous. If you have ever caught a mako you will agree they are a much more sporting fish than a marlin.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i agree with the Marlin.....they are amazing fish, but i also like tuna.....its a toss up...altough i grew up in central oregon i have to give the stealhead big props cause they fight like hell on light gear and they have to be netted in oregon....so even more of a battle

·
Super Moderator
5,904 Posts
I gotta go with Blue Marlin here. I have gone from cat napping on the couch to hitting the deck wide open in about 3 seconds. A big girl tearing off line at astronomical speed and the clicker screaming. The crew hits the deck clearing lines, teasers, getting rods clear, getting the camera going, plus several other things. Glove up and get ready to tag. That is, if Hal can hold the fish close enough.....

1 - 20 of 66 Posts