Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was Talking to a Customer today and we started talking about some Trips we had years ago,Got to thinking about all My Most Memorable Trips The one's you Talk about at the Camp Fire and so on, and Will remember Most outof all the Trip's you Take in the year and Talk about Years Later, Mine for this Year was Fishing with My Good Friend Mike {Pompnewbie} and a Friend of He's from work, To Make a Long Story Short I Brought in a 14 ft Hammerhead to the boat with a Penn 750 and 30lb test line,The thing that I Hate Is we Didn't Get a Picture:banghead Had a lot of Good Trips with Many Great Friends but This is the one that will Stick in My Mind What was Your's!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
This years trip was Cost Rica with the wife. Besides the 21 sailfish we caught she got to catch a blue marlin. To top off the trip I fed a black marlin a bait right at the transom on a 30# outfit and was locked into a 2 hour stand up battle that resulted in a release. All fishing trips are great in their on right but this one will be hard to top.

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
I can't just pick one but here's the 3 that I enjoyed the most:

Taking my father and brothers snapper fishing back in june. It was my younger brother Mike's first snapper trip and only the second for my dad. Mikes first drop resulted in a 20.2 lb snapper, his biggest fish other than a shark. My brother Alex caught his first cobia around 40 inches long and my dad also put some nice ones in the box. All in all in was just a good trip to have us all together doing what we love. It was just too bad my oldest brother Nick couldn't make it.

The Destin Swordfish Shootout on board "Betty B" was tough to beat. Everything went perfect. We went 2 for 2 and won third in the open division and second in small boat and brought home a lot of sword steaks and a good payout. Also enjoyed one hell of a brunch after the weigh in. I don't think I've seen a bigger smile on Philips face since.

October 7th's spur of the moment trip with just Philip and I to the nipple. Left late and just strolled out for fun. Fished for about 4 hours and caught a blue marlin breaking my blue marlin curse finally. Sometimes you gotta lay back and just enjoy it and not take it so seriously.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Good topic...tough for me to choose. Thanks to Gene and Tim, my perception of a 'memorable' trip has changed quite a bit this year. <UL><LI>There was a trip back in May where wepulled up to theSpur and the royal red trawler was there.We hooked up to a good sized female blue marlin..probably 500lbs. She ended up throwing the hook but watching the power of that fish was pretty cool. That was the first large blue I've personally witnessed hooked up. </LI><LI>There was a trip in early October when we decided to pull some plastics on our way out to a rip. Cliff hooked up and caught and releasedhis first billfish before we even got to the rip. When we got to the rip, we saw what we now refer to as the "lumber yard". A ship had undoubtedly lost a large amount of lumber, because 100-200 large pieces of lumber, industrial sized trash cans, propane tanks, were floating in this rip. With so much floating debris, you guessed it, there were a lot of slammer dolphin. I think we boated 4 or 5 dolphin around 30#s and quite a few smaller ones. On the way back in, we decided to anchor on a scamp hole on the edge and see if we could chunk some BFTs into our area. We caught 5 or 6 scamp while we were waiting, and then the BFTs showed up. We caught four or five 25-27# BFTs on light spinning gear and called it a day. That was a pretty cool trip.</LI><LI>There was a trip during the early summer when we went grouper fishing. We had to dodge some storms, and we decided to sit through one of them, because it was between us and where we wanted to ultimately fish. We anchored on a gag hole, I caught a decent gag in the middle of the storm, and then the antennas started to hum. That made us a little jumpy, but the storm soon passed. We then made our way to a deep drop area. Already holding the grouper master title for the day with the gag I caught earlier, I feel a large thud on the end of the line during on of my drops. The fish starts taking drag on the electric, and I have to battle the fish for a while before I can get it moving up in the water column. I was eventually able to keep the fish moving up andengage the electric reel and a few minutes later, a 37# snowy pops up...my personal best grouper. I have the grouper master title in the bag at this point for sure, right? Nope, next drop Rob gets an even bigger thud, and 10 or so minutes later a 48# snowy pops up...i end up catching another 20# snowy later in the day. When you and your buddies catch 3 snowy's that combine to weigh 105 lbs....that is a memorable day. </LI><LI>Everytime that Tim catches one of his gargantuan groupers is a memorable day. This year, he caught a warsaw in the 70# range, a snowy that was 50+, a GAG that was over 50, at least one more snowy that was 45#s or so, and quite a few gags and snowy's in the 30-40# range. Those are pretty cool trips too. </LI><LI>There were several trips this summer whenthe Nipplewas on fire.We caught a lot of dolphin andwahoo....we hooked up a white marlin and had it on for 3 or 4 jumps...that was pretty cool..the whitey's toyed with us a bit during those trips...we'll have our revenge on the white marlin in 2010...guarantee it. </LI>[/list]

edit - there was also a trip when my retarded butt slipped and fell into the drink...in February. We limited out on grouper that day, but that is not why that was a memorable trip.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Well I guess I make 3 in a row for fishing with the Recess crew (big surprise, right!). It was just last weekend and reported in a recent post, so no point repeating it here.

Brad, so far you are the "Story Master"!

Oh YEAH...."Grill Master" as well!

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Pinksnappercatcher (11/19/2009)Fishing on Recees with Gene, Tim, & Rob. Limited out on grouper and had a great time.
That would be mine too....fishing on the Recess...what a great time....catching bait with Gene the day before the trip was alot of fun too....Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
My most memorable trip of 2009has to be seeing a beauty BLUE around the Nipple late summer. ((woulda been better to have hooked her but hey it was coolseeing her))

·
Registered
941 Posts
Releasing a good sizedSailfish in late May, 38 Miles SE of Destin. I sure am glad my wife, let me skip the party and go fishing that weekend!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
By far catching my 2nd sailfish and a mahi at the same time from my kayak - unless I go catch a marlin from a yak somewhere I won't beat that trip! ~Linda

·
Registered
98 Posts
After a summer of incredible bottom fishing during snapper season that beats out most years I would say that my favorite trip was Labor Day weekend.

Snapper was obviously out so we went to fun fish and maybe catch some mangroves. I took my dad, one of his best friends, and the friends 7 year old (Lewis). This was Lewis' first offshore trip and we went to a rig about 8 miles south of DI. Immediately after tying up we started catching nice 8 and 10 lb snapper in 45 feet of water. Of course all of the snapper were vented and released. Lewis was freaking out since this was a first for him and we let him reel in as many fish as he wanted. We ended up catching a lot of fish from kings, crevalle, and grouper. On the way in we passed some floating debris and it was loaded with triple tail and baby cobia. Lewis caught the only triple tail that would bite and it was the only fish we brought back. The reason this is my most memorable is getting to see him experience it and have the time of his life. It really brings you back around to make it really fun and laid back instead of stressing to make sure that everything is ready and prepped perfectly for the trip.

Maclin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts