Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
EAT-SLEEP-GO FISHING
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
River bite still slow this morning. We launched at Morrison Springs and fished upriver for a few hours. River still exceptionally low. Water color not as clear as you might expect, but it's fine for fishing. The spring run was a little milky and not really clear until you got close to the spring. Ended up keeping 14 decent bream and 5 small cats.

Saw a few mullet jumping but no sturgeon. Also, saw only 1 big shellcracker close to the spring. Usually you see many fish of different kinds, but not today.

·
Registered
389 Posts
J.B. were you fishing for the cats or were they caught when bream fishing? What bait you using for bream this time of year? Appreciate the report.

·
EAT-SLEEP-GO FISHING
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
J.B. were you fishing for the cats or were they caught when bream fishing? What bait you using for bream this time of year? Appreciate the report.
We were fishing for cats with shrimp. For bream earth worms and crickets....crickets were the best bait.

·
EAT-SLEEP-GO FISHING
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
That sounds like a really cool spot. I’ve never had much success in clear water
We were actually fishing in the river, but down near the river where the spring water meets up with river water and starts to mix can be good fishing. I have never fished in the clear spring water but do see people doing that. Understand to fish it for bream you use 2 or 4 lb mono with earth worm and a very tiny lead or no lead at all and let it sink slowly. Fish away from the boat with spinning gear. I'm sure there are exceptions though

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
I do wonder what is making the springs milky. Itchetucknee had a grayish slime on the plants last time I was there.

When I dove the spring years back there was plenty of bream and eels in the cave. I guess they migrate out occasionally.

·
EAT-SLEEP-GO FISHING
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Back to the Springs

Back to Morrison Springs yesterday. Forgot the darn cricket box so all we had for bait was a nice bunch of catawba worms. Catfish became the target by default and we managed to put 16 small blues and channels in the box...no flatheads. Got a few bream as well and used a couple for cut bait.
As we were launching a good friend arrived. He ended up with 9 cats and 4 crappe .
The spring run was a little clearer than a couple of days before.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts