Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a really fun morning, caught about twenty reds and as many trout. Some of the trout were really nice ones.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes sir, greenbacks (scaled sardines). Just about all the reds were in the slot, a couple over and a couple under. All the trout were over 18", most well over. We kept a couple of reds and a handful of trout. Had a bunch of white trout too.

Reactions: Boat-Dude

·
Green Eggs And Ham
9,779 Posts
Yes sir, greenbacks (scaled sardines). Just about all the reds were in the slot, a couple over and a couple under. All the trout were over 18", most well over. We kept a couple of reds and a handful of trout. Had a bunch of white trout too.

Ok you talking LY's or Spanish sardines?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Call 'em greenbacks, whitebait or pilchards, the proper name is scaled sardines (Harengula jaguana). I call 'em the absolute best all around inshore bait. A live well full of them normally equals a cooler full of fish.

Reactions: Boat-Dude

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Sounds like a njce day on the water. Do you chum up the white bait on the flats to throw the net? What size were the baits?
Yes sir, I grind all my own chum and just use pogies (menhaden) ground pretty fine. I see a lot of folks use fish food and other stuff for chumming but the pogies are free and work very well for me. When I'm grinding, I'll freeze up a a bunch of half full sandwich bags just for whitebait and thread fins. A 12' Barracuda bait net seals the deal. The baits were pretty good size, probably 4-5 inches, bigger than I like for flounder, but just right for trout and reds.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Nice work! What body of water were you in? I've been stocking the freezer with ars the last month, have no clue where to start looking for the trout again.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Sounds like a njce day on the water. Do you chum up the white bait on the flats to throw the net? What size were the baits?
Yes sir, I grind all my own chum and just use pogies (menhaden) ground pretty fine. I see a lot of folks use fish food and other stuff for chumming but the pogies are free and work very well for me. When I'm grinding, I'll freeze up a a bunch of half full sandwich bags just for whitebait and thread fins. A 12' Barracuda bait net seals the deal. The baits were pretty good size, probably 4-5 inches, bigger than I like for flounder, but just right for trout and reds.
thank you sir for the info. one more question. what mesh size? 3/8”?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's correct.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts