Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just trying to make an informed decision.

Do you use isolated batteries for your trolling motor?(ie not connected to engine start, house electrical duties) Is a 101 lbs of thrust a lot better than 80 lbs. The boat I'm looking at has 2 batteries, no trolling motor yet. I could probably squeeze in a third battery, then get creative for another.

Are your trolling batteries automatically charged from your engine? How long will a charge last? How long does it take to charge the batteries.

Ideally I'd think isolated but auto charged batteries would be best...right?

21' Canyon Bay

Jim

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I just purchased my first 101lb thrust motor. The thing is awesome. Tons of power and the 36v has a really long batt life. The trolling motors should be comp. seperate from the cranking battery and the house battery. My set up has 5 batteries. Two for cranking and assecories and three on a comp. seperate charging sysytem for the trolling motor.

A good friend told me a while back, as an inshore fisherman you spend way more time on the trolling motor then on the main motor so WHY skimp on it!! Made perfect sense to me.

As far as charging.. I have a 36v charger hooked to mine. They fully charge in about 6-8 hours. I leave them on charge the entire night before I plan to use them. The battery life depends on use. If you use the motor on a low setting you can get 8-10 hours of use out ofa single charge. That of course becomes a whole lot less in high winds or current where your having to run at a higher speed. Thats also where a higher Lb. thrust is nice.

If you would like to take a look at my setup or try out the 101 on the water let me know we can splash it and you can play around with the motor nd see what you think!!

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
If you have the funds for a 101 get it! and make sure you have a onboard charger so when you get home you can just plug it in to a ext. cord and charge all 3 at once...do not skimp on batteries...spend the money now instead of twice later on and get good batteries

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brad King (3/16/2010) I just purchased my first 101lb thrust motor. The thing is awesome. Tons of power and the 36v has a really long batt life. The trolling motors should be comp. seperate from the cranking battery and the house battery. My set up has 5 batteries. Two for cranking and assecories and three on a comp. seperate charging sysytem for the trolling motor.

A good friend told me a while back, as an inshore fisherman you spend way more time on the trolling motor then on the main motor so WHY skimp on it!! Made perfect sense to me.
Brad,

GREAT info... Do you ever have to charge the trolling batteries other than with the motor?

Jim

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fisheye48 (3/16/2010)If you have the funds for a 101 get it! and make sure you have a onboard charger so when you get home you can just plug it in to a ext. cord and charge all 3 at once...do not skimp on batteries...spend the money now instead of twice later on and get good batteries
Jason,

Thanks for the advice... If it happensI want to get it right the first time.

Jim

·
Registered
363 Posts
fisheye48 (3/16/2010)If you have the funds for a 101 get it! and make sure you have a onboard charger so when you get home you can just plug it in to a ext. cord and charge all 3 at once...do not skimp on batteries...spend the money now instead of twice later on and get good batteries

good batteries? You talking Optima Blue Top for $175 each, or is there some cheaper and just as good for the application? If not that's almost $600 just for batteries. How long should I expect them to last? Yeah, I know it's only money. :hoppingmad

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Jim,

You have A+ advice above. Not sure your question was answered about batteries being isolated... yes. From what I understand it's a bad idea to have outboard and trolling motor linked in any way.

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jighead (3/16/2010)Jim,

You have A+ advice above. Not sure your question was answered about batteries being isolated... yes. From what I understand it's a bad idea to have outboard and trolling motor linked in any way.
So... is the charger for the trolling batteries powered by BOTHthe motor and alsoable to be plugged in to an external outlet?

Jim

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
jim t (3/16/2010)
Jighead (3/16/2010)Jim,

So... is the charger for the trolling batteries powered by BOTHthe motor and alsoable to be plugged in to an external outlet?

Jim
The charger is only run by outlet. Like Jason said you hook it to an ext. cord at night. Not sure how well the motor would charge the trolling motor batts. If your only making short runs to new areas you would not be doing yourself any good.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
reeltime (3/16/2010)

good batteries? You talking Optima Blue Top for $175 each, or is there some cheaper and just as good for the application? If not that's almost $600 just for batteries. How long should I expect them to last? Yeah, I know it's only money. :hoppingmad

go buy the cheap ones and run them 3-6 times a week for hours at a time and numerous charges and get back to me on how long they last....i didnt have optima batteries in my old boat i had odyssey batteries and they lasted 5 years before they started not holding a charge for as long as they use to...i would have gotten new ones if i hadnt sold the boat

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I have used everstart from Walmart and feel like I got my monoy's worth. I think a good onboard charger has a lot to do with battery life.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">A lot depends on the size of the boat. I have an 18? bass boat and I have an 82lb thrust 24 volt trolling motor and it works great. I have 1 battery to start the motor and run the accessories and 2 separate batteries for the trolling motor with an onboard 24 volt charger system. Kenny at <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Emerald</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Coast</st1:placeType></st1:place> also installed a battery switch for me when he installed my power pole and now I put the switch on 1 and it uses the single battery to start the boat then I change the switch to ALL and the motor charges the single starting battery and one of the trolling motor batteries while I?m running.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts