Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

More Than I Wanted

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Jason 
#1 ·
I got up at the ripe hour of 3am to do some bank fishing over the seawall behind wahoo stadium. Boat isn't running so I figured why not give it a shot. After an hour I had nothing to show and I had thrown the tackle box. Bucktails, rooster tails, Clark spoons, some inshore plastics, nothing. I settled down at a place where I saw a little current and vertical jigged a rooster tail, and after about 5 minutes I saw fish swinging up chasing it. Decided why not try something bigger and tied on a gotcha plug in silver and chartreuse. That was the ticket. A dozen trout later in getting ready to head back, and I drop one last time, and it's like I hung a log. Until the log took 200 yards of drag. I figured I wouldn't catch anything big and I wanted to have some fun, so I was using and ultra light reel on a Fish Eagle II rod (which is at no point on it even as big around as a pinky, more about the size of a #2 pencil). I had it rigged with 50lb braid and a 50lb mono leader, figured I'd be having to pull fish over the sea wall. An hour later on this tinyyyyy combo, I landed this monster. Only after I called a friend with a deep sea rod to come help me pull him up 😂. Gotcha plugs are the way to go.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
It was interesting Knotsure, I've never vertical jigged a gotcha like that. There were lots of schools of finger mullet around though, I think that the bait just being a little bigger was the trigger. That gotcha falling might have looked like a separated finger mullet too, just a hunch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.