Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my fishing buddy and I were sitting on a dock on Santa Roas Sound floating baloons with live pinfish with a brisk North wind at dusk. As the sun set behind the horizon, we see what we think is a large bull red under the dock swimming toward our baits.....then fish on......the baloon was skidding South, rod bowed and reel screaming on the rod holder. By chance, I had used a medium trout rod with a baitrunner Penn reel wound with 300 yards of 15 lb brand new yellow Suffix braid. Feeling confident, the drag kept going out as I tightened it, but it kept goung out for 5+ minutes and would not stop. After about 5+ minutes, it stopped taking out drag but would not budge with me beginning to apply pressure....any more, the rod would break or line snap, so we waited applying pressure for 10-15 minutes, but he still had strength beginning to take out some more drag. He was out now about 250 yards and I only had 50 yards left.

Would you believe a boat with a waterskier flew by and cut the line!!!! While we thought our near sighting was a redfish(he looked like a big red), we concluded he was a huge jack crevelle. What do you think????

AJ

·
Registered
355 Posts
Its unfortunate you lost that fish, sounds like a hoss. I have to assume that being it was after dusk the boat operator could not see where your line was out with the fish. Having a waterskier still out after dark is a big no no, though. :banghead

Stupid people, they are everywhere.

·
Praedator
10,007 Posts
Sucks that you lost the fish. But take a look at one of the quotes in my signature.:poke It sucks when the fish breaks you off. It would really piss me off if another boat cut me off, but what canyou do other than get back out there and try and get em again. :toast

Jon

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
WOW! AJ, great report and sorry your lost the big one.:banghead But you've got the memory of that hook-up and the excitement that it created.

Couldn't begin to speculate what it was, could have been the big red, might also have been a shark, or a big skate. Either way, I know you were dissappointed in not getting to even see what was on, but that is what keeps us going back to the water with poles in hand.Keep trying, you'll get him. Thumbs up!

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
I don't believe it was a large jack, because he wouldn't have stopped in the first place. I've had them spool me in a nano second out of of Cobbs Overrun on main base Eglin. They will freight train you in a split second

·
Registered
214 Posts
My vote is that it was a shark. My buddy did just about the same thing the other night and landed a fairly large bull shark. It ran about 150 yards of line and sat there for about 2 minutes then took off again. Just the way you were describing your experience pretty much describes to the tee what his shark did.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I would say that it was a large ray.

I've caught them like that before (3+ feet across). They love to cruise the shallows at dusk, and they'll look just like a bull red with their wingtips breaking the surface of the water. When you get one on, you can't stop them, and when they do stop, you can't budge them (like a suction cup on the sand).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts