Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a picture of the gag my fishing partner caught while fishing for mangroves at night during a 3 day dive trip. the fish was caught in 190' off panama city. Most impressive, the monster was caught on 80 lb mono with a 60lb floro leader and a 6/0 gama live bait hook. The fish was 61 lbs gutted, and is the second 60 plus pounderhe has caught in the last year and a half. Very impressive. There are only a handful of people with twofish like thisin their lifetimes, and dan has two before his 22nd birthday.

This is the fish he caught last year. It went 69 gutted. Looks smaller in the picture, but it didnt have it's air bladder blown up,

Here are a few other pics from his diving this past weekend. Another guy on the boat caught a 38 lb gag within 10 minutes of the big one.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
wow nice haul all the way around. Was the bottom big relief or small broken bottom.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
yea the few gags we found this year came off of small broken bottom. Is it east or west of the pass in PC

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
surely not in 190 feet of water I hope.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
More like 187'...Dan is a professional, and certified to the highest degree. they were fishing ssw of the pass. just north of the 40 break.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
thats insane diving that depth. I know a lot of people do it but it eventually catches up with you.

·
eating tasty
3,783 Posts
It is safe as long as you plan your dive and stick to your profile... its not something you just go "DO". Incredible fish man, great job!:bowdown

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
there is no doubt it is a hazardous sport, but these guys have made hundreds of dives at these depths, and take every precaution necessary.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
There was a diver down southeast this summer that bought the farm doing just that. He had completed 100's of dives at that depth without a hitch and then it was curtains. years and years of experience at great depth. The problem arises when there is a minor problem and at that depth a minor problem becomes a huge problem and sometimes cannot be overcome. To me it is not worth my death for any and all fish I could possibly shoot.One day your luck runs out. Your dancing with disaster.

·
Registered
319 Posts
lobsterman (12/6/2007)There was a diver down southeast this summer that bought the farm doing just that. He had completed 100's of dives at that depth without a hitch and then it was curtains. years and years of experience at great depth. The problem arises when there is a minor problem and at that depth a minor problem becomes a huge problem and sometimes cannot be overcome. To me it is not worth my death for any and all fish I could possibly shoot.One day your luck runs out. Your dancing with disaster.
<SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl18_lblFullMessage>In the gear he's in, no way! I don't see a stage bottle or a deco bottle and his spg is not where it should be. 190 is completely doable but only with the right knowledge and gear with serious redundancy. I'd think I would wanna be on trimix for that depth. I really need to get movin' on this tech stuff!

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
i've been diving since 1970 and just because you are diving trimix doesn,t make it that much safer. trust me I know of five people personally that have either been hit hard , like bowed up crippling and a few that have died. The few that are messed up will never be the same.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts