Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do most of you guys use? Of course there are pros and cons to each. For my medium duty rods(if I'm fishing in the gulf for reds, etc or around NAS) I simply use 30lb mono. In the sound, I have 30lb braid with 20 lb Fluro leader on my spinning reels and straight 20 mono on my bait casters. I find while the casting is easier with braid in the sound, it also tangles more at the last eyelet with the spinning reels. I just changed up my baitacaster for 30 braid and 20 fluro but haven't tried it in the water yet. Thoughts??

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
In the bay, I use braid if I am pitching docks. It is way easier to pull a redfish out from underneath a dock with braid. Fishing the flats for specks, I like to use light monofilament. The stretch helps keep the bait from tearing out of a specks weak mouth. I love braid for grouper, tuna, and amberjacks. (much easier and quicker to land a fish)

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
There isn't an answer to this comparison I'm afraid. Each has its own characteristics that work well in different situations and rigging needs. Combine that with varying opinions of anglers and you have a real mess of a debate.

The only way to figure it out is with time on the water with different tackle and different scenarios.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm an inshore guy. I usually have 5 rods on the boat with me. Two are spooled with 20lb power pro braid. The other three are spooled with 8lb ande backcountry. I like the braid for fishing around docks and bridges. I like the mono for fishing the flats or areas where I don't have to worry about getting broken of on something.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts