Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Monday rolled around and my vacation was coming to an end- I've been off work almost 3 weeks now. I decided to go boat shopping with JEC and I really like the Boston Whaler 15 Montauk, but they are pretty proud of it and I don't know if it would be worth it. All that boat shopping made us want to go fishing so we were torn between splashing the boat or just calling Ultralite. We opted to call Mike and talked him andDale into having dinner with us at Fisherman's Corner. They are always telling me how good it is so I decided to go see for myself. I will definitely be going back. Well we wrapped up dinner and made it over to Mike's with our live shrimp. Ladyfish were everywhere- it made me sick. We would see healthy sized trout once in a while but it was hard to present a bait to them and get them to eat before the ladies jumped our baits. All of a sudden JEC is like "What the hell is that?" I glance over to see what he is talking about and I see something I've never seen before. It looked like a baby manta ray to me (at first). Here's a pic- we were thinking it might have been a baby look down, but now I am not so sure.

The trout fishing continued to be slow- we ended up with only one!

The shark fishing, however, was somewhat eventful. At Mike's house I fish a 7 ft. Penn Slammer rod that is pretty light with a 704 Penn reel- either 704 or 706,I don't know- the one with a bail (bale?). I don't like fishing that rod- I think it's too light for sharking without a boat, but it's the only big rod that I own that will fit in the rod holders on Mike's dock. It also has mono on it, and it needs to be braid for what we're using it for, but I figure a hooked and lost shark is more interesting than not fishing for one, and maybe I've got enough skill to somehow finesse one in with under-gunned tackle. Current has a lot to do with it and it was light last night. Well, ofcourse we get bit by something big andthere's a young guy out there with us- 18 I think.I tell him to grab the rod and go to work. He holds his own for a minute but we were definitely under-gunned for that size shark and he broke us off. Here's a shot of the fight...

Shark hook up was on cut ladyfish on the bottom. Thanks for reading...and replying. And yes, we will definitely be buying some big rod holders for Mike's dock- second time I've been schooled by sharks over there so I'm goin' back with a whoopin' stick.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
That looks like a baby mola-mola(sunfish)..glad yall got to get out last night..weve been doing really well on the specks and reds everynight in the bayous

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does look like a sunfish, so my question is- do juvenile sunfish live in the ICW?

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
glad you guys had a hook up mike...i know what you mean about the ladyfish...freakin thick...dale and i appreciate supper at the corner...the angler is drew stroud...you'll get one soon enough...

thanks for the report and pictures...i was up at 6:00 AM and out the door...don't even remember what time i fell asleep...

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kirkland you are a machine waking up that early and putting in work! I'm going to e-mail you on the rod holders, and thanks as always for the hospitality and great conversation! I know Drew was the angler but I wasn't sure if he wanted the publicity since we got broke off. Angela and I are heading to The Corner tonight!

I think specslayer nailed it- harvest fish, not a look down. Neat to see either way.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know what you mean tailfisher- does look like some kind of pompano or jack. It was really weird and the picture does not do the experience justice. When we first saw it it was swimming towards that I beam in the picture and it looked like a manta ray or some creature like in that movie The Abyss. When it swam it looked like it was flying. I started firing off pics with my state of the art 3 mega pixel digital camera- ha ha.I had no idea if the shots would turn outbecause of the darkness, but when I plugged my memory card into the computer I had a postable image. The fish stayed around that I beam all night. I thought about trying to net it with Kirkland's dip net but opted not to out of fear of harming the fish for no reason. Sucker swam on its side like a tripletail the whole time- got to be weird going through life looking straight up and straight down.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is insane that specslayer noticed that shrimp- I didn't even notice it. That's about the only place a shrimp could be in the ICW last night without getting nailed by a skipjack/ladyfish. And the shark fishing there lately makes me wonder if I should swim there any more cuz our baits are getting nailed by BIG sharks. I'll just tell my girlfriend they only come there at night- as if.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
try the seared tuna mike...the crab claws are a good deal too...go al-a-carte if you don't want all the trimmings...tell angela "hello" for us...when you gonna make a honest women of her?:poke

·
Super Moderator
12,519 Posts
it's definatly not an african pompano or a lookdown...

i want to say it's a palmetto (in the same family) but for some reason the name butterfish keeps popping in my head (not like the atlantic bumper)

your best bet would be to take the pic to GBB&T and ask for the owner, John Wright.... he's a marine bioligist

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey guys I was fishing a light over by Palafox Pier and saw about ten of those swimming in a school they were pretty cool looking fish was wondering what they were myself......

·
Registered
931 Posts
yea im 99% shure it is a harvest fish, if you look where they live it includes us and it says in intercostal water ways. my dad is also a marine biologist for the national park service and he has taught me ALOT about marine species and ecosystems...if he were around id ask him what he thinks it is but hes in cali fighting fires....makin that $$$$ for a boat!!!

·
Super Moderator
12,519 Posts
specslayer (8/19/2008)yea im 99% shure it is a harvest fish, if you look where they live it includes us and it says in intercostal water ways. my dad is also a marine biologist for the national park service and he has taught me ALOT about marine species and ecosystems...if he were around id ask him what he thinks it is but hes in cali fighting fires....makin that $$$$ for a boat!!!
i think you're right... it looks a hell of alot like a palmetto.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts