Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Banned
2,221 Posts
Wishin4Bass (2/26/2010)Only good snake is a dead snake!!!
You couldn't be any further from the truth, there are MANY snakes are here that are very helpful to us.

There are only4 species of venomous snakes around here: Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake, Cottonmouth (Water Mocosin [sp]), Copperhead, and very rarely will you see a Coral Snake.

There are dozens of species of nonvenomous snakes in our area. The Eastern Kingsnake is actually immune to rattlesnake venom and will kill and eat Rattlesnakes.

Please make sure you know what species a snake is before you aimlessly kill all of them. The easiest way to tell the Rattler, Cottonmouth and Copperhead is to look at its mouth, if it's an arrow shape, because they are pit vipers and that's where the "pits" are located, then it is most likely a venomous snake. Also, look at its pupils, if they are a slit (like a cat) then they are poisonous.

Just a few comments to hopefully educate a few.

· Registered
324 Posts
BigBrandon (2/26/2010)

You couldn't be any further from the truth, there are MANY snakes are here that are very helpful to us.

There are only4 species of venomous snakes around here: Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake, Cottonmouth (Water Mocosin [sp]), Copperhead, and very rarely will you see a Coral Snake.

There are dozens of species of nonvenomous snakes in our area. The Eastern Kingsnake is actually immune to rattlesnake venom and will kill and eat Rattlesnakes.

Please make sure you know what species a snake is before you aimlessly kill all of them. The easiest way to tell the Rattler, Cottonmouth and Copperhead is to look at its mouth, if it's an arrow shape, because they are pit vipers and that's where the "pits" are located, then it is most likely a venomous snake. Also, look at its pupils, if they are a slit (like a cat) then they are poisonous.

Just a few comments to hopefully educate a few.

You might be right, but I ain't gettin close enough to look at its mouth. I'll check for "pits" after my "00" buckshot has done its job, but then it will probably be all jacked up, but it will be dead!!!

· Super Moderator
34,291 Posts
It's a purty critter...ya'll eat it???

I know bout how folks like killing snakes and the "fear" these critters have on folks....I've only killed a handful of venomous snakes (not poisonous if you want to be specific). Those have been round the house, I've caught several rattlers and cotton mouths and got em out of the road so they won't be killed. I can't count how many water snakes I have almost killed cause I thought they were water moccasins (cotton mouths). The head being triangular isn't always a dead on characteristic of venomous snakes (hognose is triangular although it's turned up nose is a clue) I always catch the "unknown" 1's then look at the eyes to determine. I'm glad someone else tries to educate folks but most folks are grown and already have the attitude "only good snake is a dead snake"...When those folks sheds and outbuildings are over-run w/ rats and mice they'll see. I've got a rat snake about 5 ft long that lives in my shed...Scares the crap outta me a bunch but I just leave him alone....:letsdrink

· twiceRetired Serve No One
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
good post Jason.

my wife is a brave woman who told me

"Snake is coming , Snake is coming "as i locked our gate a few months back.

It was the largest snake i have seen since leaving SE Asia [ Code for Vietnam . Laos, and Cambodia in the day.]

he was over 8 foot long. and a fine looking Coach whip.a specimen he was. No I do not shoot all snakes. he was near record length and I am glad to have him as an ally on my land.</DIV></DIV>I do not hate snakes , just liberals</DIV>

· Registered
638 Posts
BigBrandon (2/26/2010)

Dont forget about the timber and pygmy rattlers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.