Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,the first weekend of the Missouri deer season didn't exactly work outin my favor. I tried to hunt public ground and I'm pretty sure EVERYBODY had the same idea as I did. I was unable to setup in my usual spot, (someone beat me to it), and after setting up in my backup spot,openingmorningI was greeted by a flashing flashlight. I left my stand there so I wouldn't mess up his morning hunt, (He was set up about30 yds from it) and sat on the ground formy morning hunt. Bummer, but that's what I would expect out of someone else if they walked in on me so it's cool! Meanwhile, it looked like a freakin' parade of hunter's orange and I didn't see anything else. I finally got my stand back around 11:30 that morning and set up on a brushline connecting 2 pretty good size sections of woods. Good enough, right? After hunting it for an hour or so just to see what I could see, I decided to get down and grab a jacket from the truck. I don't walk 30 yds and see a kid setting up a hang on stand not 50 yards from where I'm hunting. I "explain" to him that I have a stand set up not even 50 yds from where he was and that I'd be back shortly and left it at that thinking he would move on.

NOPE! He's hunting it like he never saw me. I haven't taken the hunter's education course because I'm old I guessbut don't they teach hunter's ethics too? If they don't, they should. By this time it's too late to move again and he was staring out across an open field looking downwind and he's high enough in the tree to where the deer may not see him anyway,(I seriously doubted if he'd see them),so I got in my climber and hunted the spot in spite of it all. I even managed to see a couple does and a coyote. I wanted to shoot the coyote but he was trailing the second doe about 5 minutes after her and wasn't wasting any time trying to catch up. They all crossed the same opening about 20 yds wide. Oh yeah, did I mention that the wind was blowing a constant 10 mph gusting to 15 or so they said! My stand was rockin'! Anyway, by now it's 5:30pm, end of legal shooting time, so I call it a day. I think everybody else already had judging by the stream of orange walking by for the last hour.

Sunday morning was pretty much the same as the Saturday evening hunt. The wind blew all nightand was still blowing. The kid showed up to hunt his stand around 8. It's even warmer, 55 degrees at 4:30 am. Hot for here this time of year. By 10:30 I had enough of the orange parade and packed it in without seeing any deer wondering why I wasn't sitting on the private property I have permission to hunt. Last year there were only a few people hunting in there by comparison and I have seen huge deer there over the last few years. That county has a minimum 4 point on one side rule and it is helping out. I'm not going to say I won't do it again but I bet I won't do it opening weekend. Maybe bowhunting it or muzzleloading season won't be as bad. I'm sure I'll try it again somehow. I still enjoyed being out but next weekend, the private spot gets my full attention.

I did manage to get to Kansas last Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday to go pheasant hunting. My buddy backed out on me at the last minute. One of his bird dogs started having puppies the night before we were supposed to leave so he had to play midwife, so it was just me and the dog this time.That was a blast. Killed a few birds and missed alot more. It's amazing how hard it is to hit something that big. Man they get out of there fast! I saw a MONSTER BUCK while I was there. It's really hard for a nonresident to deer hunt there though. You have to be drawn and my work doesn't allow me to plan anything like that. Maybe after I retire!

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,545 Posts
How do you spell that missery opening weekend deer hunt

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
What part of Missouri were you hunting? I have family in Springfield area and hunt the Nation Forest southeast of there and also Busek State Park south of Ozark. Although, haven't been able to hunt either the past couple of years. But, it seems more and more people are trying to hunt public lands, and they are inconsiderate, and dangerous.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was hunting Davisdale between Booneville and Columbia. I've seensome nice bucks come out of there but I just don't know if it's worth it. I'll probably try it again during the muzzleloading season. It all depends on how this private place works out. I got permission a month or so ago but I really haven't got a chance to really check it out. I'm going there tomorrow after work to look around and maybe set up a stand.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts