Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have info on the Kayaker search in Gulf Shores? I see Coast Guard Helicopters moving around.

·
Fish Alot Catch None
1,142 Posts
You have more information than me. Hope everything turns out ok. Really hope it is just an exercise.

·
Registered
260 Posts
A couple of years ago I was approaching the Pensacola Pass and saw a kayak a couple of miles off shore. It was getting dark, the tide was going out and the wind was out of the north. We decided to check on the guy and found him exhausted from trying to get back to shore. We pulled him and his kayak on board and took him to NAS Pensacola. I sometimes wonder what would have happened if we had not stopped to check on him.

·
Master of Disaster
3,042 Posts
The latest update from WKRG at 5PM, 01-12-15...
UPDATE:
-John Switzer has still not been found.
-Search crews will look for the 24-year old Starkville, Mississippi, man again on Tuesday.
-The picture Switzer took while out in the Gulf shows Switzer well off-shore. Switzer appears to be navigating through some pretty big waves.
-A family friend who lives in Gulf Shores found Switzer's car parked at the family's beach house. Switzer's keys were on the floorboard along with clothes and receipts. Switzer bought coffee and donuts Saturday morning before he went kayaking.
-The family friend says the doors to the beach house were unlocked and the lights were all off. She also found a pair of wet swim trunks drying inside on a table.
-Drag marks, presumably from Switzer pulling his kayak from the beach to the water, are visible in the sand.
The U.S. Coast Guard is currently searching for a kayaker who went missing off the coast of Gulf Shores, though fog is hampering the efforts, sources tell News 5.

Two ship vessels and a helicopter are actively looking for the man who was reportedly kayaking Saturday evening before officially being reported missing.

We've learned the kayaker, 24-year-old John Switzer, last spoke to his family while in a yellow kayak in Gulf Shores, though he was reportedly not wearing a life jacket.

News 5 is told Switzer went missing around 7:00pm on Saturday and was officially reported as missing at 10:00pm that night.

Local authorities are said to be assisting in the search by the shoreline, while the two boats and chopper search the water.

The Mississippi man was enjoying a quick, weekend getaway by himself at his family's beach house when he disappeared.
Switzer sent a panoramic photo of his view from the kayak to family members before he went missing. News 5 has obtained a copy of the image, showing Switzer off the coast of Gulf Shores.
A friend of the family found Switzer's car and keys at the beach house, but no signs of Switzer.
If you have information as to the whereabouts of Switzer, please contact Coast Guard Sector Mobile Command Center at 251-441-6212. Updates tonight on News 5.
http://www.wkrg.com/story/27827916/search-for-missing-kayaker-in-gulf-shores?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=11027793f

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
This is becoming a far-too common occurrence. Hopefully he is still alive and just waiting it out.

·
Registered
9,889 Posts
If he went out today the 12th he's foolish. I was out there and going east there were 2 to 4 mixed up swells and seas. Plus an occasional 5 to 6 footer. Water temps on surface was 62 degrees. Hope they find him but in that temps he may last 3 hours if he is in shape.

·
Banned
253 Posts
If he went out today the 12th he's foolish. I was out there and going east there were 2 to 4 mixed up swells and seas. Plus an occasional 5 to 6 footer. Water temps on surface was 62 degrees. Hope they find him but in that temps he may last 3 hours if he is in shape.
Which direction were the predominant winds?

Edit:
That doesn't look like a ride-on-top kayak in that photo... Do fishing kayak guys put inflatable flotation bags inside their kayak, like whitewater guys do? Even with the bags, if he took a swim that far offshore, he'd have a hell of a time bailing out that yak and climbing back inside by himself.

Without flotation and in cold water... Sheesh. I just don't see any way that he makes it home in that scenario.

·
Seafox 237 twin outboards
5,433 Posts
Horrible. It's happen numerous times over the last few year just In Pensacola and orange beach since the sport has taken off over the last few years. There are several a year go missing in those two passes.
Why he was by himself, I don't know. I don't like to go out in my 23 foot center console by my self. I have fallen over board while sitting on the side of the boat several years ago. That's why I fish with other people.
You would think the bright yellow kayak would have been found unless it's not floating anymore.
Cold time of year to even think about getting your hands wet, much less submerging your self from flipping over on a yak.
I hope for the best outcome here.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I am amazed at the number of people that go off shore in a Kayak without life preservers. I have a inflatable that I wear all of the time while I am on the water. I have been Kayaking off shore for about 12 years and have seen to many people die

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
I am amazed at the number of people that go off shore in a Kayak without life preservers. I have a inflatable that I wear all of the time while I am on the water. I have been Kayaking off shore for about 12 years and have seen to many people die
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Wirelessly posted

About two years ago seen a guy in a yak at i10 rubble thats roughly 17 miles out. People are not too smart when it comes to yaks.

·
Fish Alot Catch None
1,142 Posts
I fished out front when there was a slight north wind in my Kayak. Hung a fish that dragged me south. After I got it in I realized I had been dragged out, but not too far but far enough to feel a little uncomfortable. I now have a sea anchor, portable VHF, inflatable life vest and a "SPOT". I did not make a good decision that day and I will not make it again.

Once again I hope he is ok.

·
Master of Disaster
3,042 Posts
Latest from WKRG at noon, 01/13/14.... The USCG has found a sunk kayak they believe to be John Switzers near Dauphin Island this morning. However, he still has not been found. Gulf Shores is not engaged in the search anymore, but Ft Morgan Search and Rescue and the Dauphin Island PD are looking for the body at this time, as well as the USCG.

Under improved weather conditions Tuesday, the U.S. Coast Guard has located "a partially submerged yellow kayak." News 5 is told the kayak is believed to be the same one used by the missing Mississippi man John Switzer.

According to the U.S. Coast Guard, the kayak was located between Dauphin Island and Petit Bois Island.

More details on this developing story on News 5 at Noon.

·
Freshwater Flounder
3,840 Posts

Don't be too certain everyone you see without one on doesn't have one. I often sit on mine when the weather is warmish or hot & the seas are calm. I'll slip it back on coming in before I hit the surf zone unless the water is really flat. Not to brag, but I'm decently practiced & agile at getting back in after a spill & both my yaks are SOT's.

Embarrassing to admit, but I paddled my OK Prowler with just my hands for about a mile once, my paddle having inadvertently come unclipped & went overboard without my noticing while fighting a fish. Good thing for me there wasn't much wind that day. I certainly learned the value of keeping a good leash on the paddle and now also carry a backup collapsible paddle tied on in the back. (funny thing, not long after losing the paddle a turtle showed up & accompanied me almost all the way in on the surface ... kept looking up at me from the water every once in a while as if trying to figure just what kind of idiot I was)

·
Registered
8,430 Posts
I know a lot of you guys fish in the gulf in your kayaks and I have always thought "those guys are more adventuresome than I am". To me, the Gulf is no place for a kayak, not beyond a few hundred yards anyway.
Hopefully this guy is on a beach somewhere.....alive.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts