Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm 14 and I was wondering if I am old enough to hunt by myself. Do I need a hunters safety course to hunt alone? My dad I would to cover two stands at the same time(he will only be 1/4 mile away at most). This will be in Alabama by the way. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,608 Posts
Google "Alabama Hunting Regulations" and I'm sure it will tell you. I don't think you need a license until you are 16 so that may be the age you have to be to hunt alone. Yes, you will need a hunter's safety course.
Google that also. I saw where they are having one soon but I believe it is in Fort Walton.
I started letting my son hunt alone when he was about 11 but I was not far away and we were on a private lease.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah we hunt on a private lease also, but some of our stands are just one person stands. That's why I wanted to see if I could hunt alone...legally that is.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
U must be 16 to hunt alone. u have to be insight of the licensed adult 21 or older and u do not need the hunters safety until u turn 16. i was hunting alone way before i was 14 but it should be up to u and your dad to make the decision if u are responsible enough to hunt alone. I have a cousin i take that is 12 and let him hunt alone but hes very responsible.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not like most teens, I'm very responsible, my dad and I have already discussed me hunting alone but I wasn't sure if I could legally.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Here's what the BWWMA rules say

Youth and mentor license holders: A youth hunter (less than 16 years of age) must be supervised by a person at least 18 years of age. A mentor license holder must be supervised by a licensed hunter at least 21 years of age. Unless exempt, only those supervisors with proper licenses and permits may hunt. If the supervisor is hunting during any hunt for which quota permits are issued, at least one person in the party must be in possession of a quota permit. During a hunt that allows exemptions, a non-exempt supervisor of a youth must have a quota permit to hunt. A non-hunting supervisor is allowed to accompany a youth or mentor license holder during any hunt.

·
Registered
14,874 Posts
Sorry. I was gonna rant about government nosing into our personal lives and trying to dictate how to raise our children but will take a couple of aspirin and go lie down.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Here's what the BWWMA rules say

Youth and mentor license holders: A youth hunter (less than 16 years of age) must be supervised by a person at least 18 years of age. A mentor license holder must be supervised by a licensed hunter at least 21 years of age. Unless exempt, only those supervisors with proper licenses and permits may hunt. If the supervisor is hunting during any hunt for which quota permits are issued, at least one person in the party must be in possession of a quota permit. During a hunt that allows exemptions, a non-exempt supervisor of a youth must have a quota permit to hunt. A non-hunting supervisor is allowed to accompany a youth or mentor license holder during any hunt.
he hunts in alabama not blackwater...rules may or may not be different

·
Registered
743 Posts
Alabama
Ala. Code §9-11-50
No child under the age of 16 is required to procure a hunting license; a licensed adult must accompany the individual.

·
Registered
11,083 Posts
Do state laws carry over in private land? Law is law, but? My son is 13 now, he has been hunting alone a few times. With me not far away and radio comunication mandatory. I belive it is up to you and your father regardless!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Do state laws carry over in private land? Law is law, but? My son is 13 now, he has been hunting alone a few times. With me not far away and radio comunication mandatory. I belive it is up to you and your father regardless!

Yes the law applies to private land but some states allow an exemption from a hunting license if you are the land owner.

·
NRA Lifetime Member
504 Posts
Sorry. I was gonna rant about government nosing into our personal lives and trying to dictate how to raise our children but will take a couple of aspirin and go lie down.
What age do you have to be to Join the military and then they can send you to war to hunt people?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts