Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Launched as usual at SCM at daybreak on the SHUR KETCH II

Headed to the pass with a crew of Capt Ed, Skip, Myself, and Jim, hoping for the predicted 1-3s, but soon found reality!

It was steady 4-5 ft rollers and slow going. Few of the "big" ones seemed like the perfect storm, riding up and seeing the horizen, then crashing down.

Made it to one spot about 20-25 miles out and anchored up. The bite was on from about 9 to 10, with constant hook-ups by all. Mingo were the hot and heavybite and boxed about 30. Must have pulled up about 25 Scamp, but all 14.5/15, along with one undersized Trigger. Red Snapper were plentiful, but all sent home with the hopes of snagging them horses come June. Ed managed to box a Black Snapper and Lane, but no keeper AJs from Jiggy Skip, even with the continual, Valient effort as his supply of jigs diminished!

After numerous shark hit, break offs, etc., and Red Snapper continually coming up, we motored off to hopefully rid ourself of them and do some more productive fishing.

We found a good spot, put the marker buoy down, and anchored up. Had the regular visitors, pods of dolphin and sea turtle.

and one unwanted "guest". Saw this boat heading straight for us, the charterGAMBLE out of Pensacola, who pulled up next to us and started dropping. Capt radioed him and said "It's a big gulf!", "Yup" came the charter's answer. Well, next they came so close that they hooked our marker, tangled lines with us, and could basically carry on a conversation with us. For a "professional" that was absurd. A call from Capt Ed of "What the Hell? This is gonna make the Forum", "My bad" came the reply and they headed North.

We continued hauling in hugh Red Snapper and little else for keepers.

With an adequate box and all tired from the sun, sharks, hugh snappers, and being tossed around the waves, we headed in.

Even with the missed forcast, and unprofessional charter, we all had a great day on the Gulf! See ya out there, John :toast

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Of course in the Title I meant SHUR KETCH II! Can edit the post itself but don't know how to change the Title - oh well!

·
Premium Member
11,157 Posts
That's a nice box of fish ya got there. That charter capt. sounds like a real classy fellow. Congratulations.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Hey guy's it was good to see you out there. The spot you guy's were anchored on is a regular stop for most of the Pensacola Charter boats this time of the year. Actually we have stopped there several times in the last 2 weeks. I do notbeleive that any time were we any closer than two boats usually get on top of public reefs. That is a very large spot with PLENTY of Mingo's to go around.

As far as tangling lines with you. I apologize for that happening. I had alarge Cobia that we hooked make a run straight for your boat and your bouy that you had out. I could not assist my angler any more and the fish was cut off on your bouy marker. I tried to apologize to you guy's before we made for port but you guy's were not very receptive to my attempts.

Once again, I apologize if you felt crowded that was not our intent. If you think the two boats on the wreck today was bad go out to that spot anytime during June or July this year and you would probably love for just the two of us to be out there. Again, I'm sorry if you felt crowded or other wise done wrong in anyway. We're just trying to pay our bills and make sure our clients are happy and get what they've paid for...................

See you out there!!!!!!

Capt. Brad King

Charter boat "GAMBLER"

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
thank you for your considerate kind response gambler i wasnt on the boat or even fishing but I sure am glad to see that un like many of the charter operations of old you actually care to fish with the recreational sector and not against us. I only wish more captains would take notice and do the same

·
Premium Member
11,157 Posts
Brad King (15/05/2010) Hey guy's it was good to see you out there. The spot you guy's were anchored on is a regular stop for most of the Pensacola Charter boats this time of the year. Actually we have stopped there several times in the last 2 weeks. I do notbeleive that any time were we any closer than two boats usually get on top of public reefs. That is a very large spot with PLENTY of Mingo's to go around.

As far as tangling lines with you. I apologize for that happening. I had alarge Cobia that we hooked make a run straight for your boat and your bouy that you had out. I could not assist my angler any more and the fish was cut off on your bouy marker. I tried to apologize to you guy's before we made for port but you guy's were not very receptive to my attempts.

Once again, I apologize if you felt crowded that was not our intent. If you think the two boats on the wreck today was bad go out to that spot anytime during June or July this year and you would probably love for just the two of us to be out there. Again, I'm sorry if you felt crowded or other wise done wrong in anyway. We're just trying to pay our bills and make sure our clients are happy and get what they've paid for...................

See you out there!!!!!!

Capt. Brad King

Charter boat "GAMBLER"
Very nice. See there, I told you he sounded like a classy fellow (Excuse me while I take my foot out of my mouth). Very nice of you Capt. Brad

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
I want to throw out a big "THANK YOU" to Tailfisher and dailysaw for their help with the jigs. I posted to try to find some and they came through, Thanks again guys. I tried a few diff rigging techniques and jigged with braid for the first time. Like the "feel" of the braid, but cringed hearing all the sharks trying to run the spool off. Brought back some jigs with allot of teeth marks in them, some with no hooks and a bent one from a decent size shark, and of course a few bleeding heads.Still, love the jigging but the sharks are getting on my last nerve! Great trip and good friends as always, tight lines everyone! Oh, it is a big spot out there Brad, key word being BIG. And sorry that your cobe had to run 50 feet to get tangled on our marker. We'll move it for you next time if you want.

Skip

·
SaltWaterDave
1,864 Posts
That's great you guys finally found the Mingos. Seems like they're really hard to find most of the time. Thats a good full cooler though. Maybe next time the guys with all the numbers will give you some elbow room. That is always stressful being crowded on a spot during the week, by the big boys. I guess their clients money takes precident over your time and money, if it's not in thier pocket.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Don't have much to say about "Gambler" fishing so close to us. As the captain stated it is a large rocky area and there were no boats within SIGHT of us. Why notstay a reasonable distance from usand not fish on top of us and our marker where there is a chance of interference.........large area remember! I wonder if he was fishing and we ran up on him......hummm! Sorry, that just doesn't set well with me. Just my 2 cents worth............Ed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts