Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Milligan Baptist was hit by lightning as this afternoons thunderstorm roared through was what I told
They shut down Old River Rd. due to the fire. The news will say a Baker church but it is just about a quarter mile north of Hwy 90 on Old River Rd.
My great-great grandfather was a member back in the last 20 or 30+ years of the 1800’s after the civil war and is buried across the road from the church.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How bad was it damaged?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The photo I saw showed the whole roof on fire with flames shooting up in the air
I haven’t seen it in person but from the photo the main church building will need to be completely rebuilt

·
Super Moderator
28,309 Posts
Yeah it was a total loss... sad and we had a horrible storm move in so I figured it was hit by lightning.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Sad to see. Said the Church was established in 1864.
The building was substantially newer than that; probably less than 30-40 years old.

The only thing standing are the brick walls. Total loss. Old, dry pine lumber burns exceedingly quickly. Nothing could have saved that church.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was baptized in the main church building in 1969. That building was older than me but I don’t know what year it was built. The addition to the side of the church was built years after the main church

1 - 11 of 11 Posts