Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I renewed my driver's license I took my discharge papers and they put the veteran designation on my license. I do a lot of handyman stuff now so I was happy that I would now be able to get a veteran discount. I bought a number of tools and supplies at Lowes and they happily gave me a discount. I was in Home Depot last week and since I was there, put a number of things in the cart. I went to check out and was told "Home Depot doesn't accept the State of Florida veteran I.D.. What's that all about?

·
Center Mass at 300m
2,133 Posts
I'd like to know if you're registered as a business and still trying to utilize the discount?

Also depends on how much $'s worth of stuff you had in your cart. Five years ago, I tried to get the discount on a $1500 refer and they politely told me $500 limit after I asked for a real manager.

Get your vet ID card through the va.gov site.

*edit - for what its worth, I haven't asked for the discount there in a while....

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Home Depot in Ft Walton does give military discount. My son used his dependent ID card to get a discount Tuesday. They have never given me a problem with my ID I just usually don’t use Home Depot in Ft Walton because their customer service is lacking.

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,918 Posts
Who is eligible for the military discount?
The offers as explained above do not necessarily include all veterans, 100% of the time. Both The Home Depot and the Lowe’s military discount offers include active duty, Guard/Reserves, retirees, and veterans with a service connected-disability rating (many stores require the veteran to show proof of a service-connected rating, which will appear on the VA health care ID card).

The Lowe’s military discount is open to anyone who has served honorably.

Some veterans have been able to receive the discount with an alternate form of ID or proof of service, such as a DD 214, or a veterans designation on their drivers license. These alternate forms of ID aren’t officially accepted, so this may be at the discretion of the clerk or the store manager.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
I worked at Lowe’s in Pace for four years. Lowe’s offers a military discount to all that have or are serving honorably. The stipulation is that the discount is supposed to be for personal use. Lots of people take advantage and use the discount for business or to purchase on behalf of friends or family. While I was working there they considered stopping the discount due to this. In the end they wisely decided the benefit far outweighed the losses from the unscrupulous few..

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I only purchase items for personal use for things around the house. I guess the discount for me would be considered peanuts. My point here is that Lowes seems to be very accommodating to veterans while Home Depot is a hassle to a point where it is embarrassing.

·
Premium Member
9,610 Posts
Should’ve wore a rainbow flag in there. They’re big fans of the rainbow guys. I think it’s a requirement in one of the stores for employment.

Reactions: Murphy's Law

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Should’ve wore a rainbow flag in there. They’re big fans of the rainbow guys. I think it’s a requirement in one of the stores for employment.
LOL. I know if you work there and say something bad about them your in trouble. Of course I can't think of anything good to say.
They do give a discount to retired or active military.
I just never worried about 10%

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
I'm not eligible but Lowes always ask, they want to make sure ya'll get your discount, which is a good thing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,918 Posts
Home Depot: When I was working for FWB, we were tax exempt. At Lowes we just gave them the monthly purchase order #, they entered it in the register and we were done.
Home Depot on the other hand, they had to go into a filing cabinet to look for the paperwork to verify the p.o. #. About 15-20 min later you were done.
It was literally faster for us to drive across town to get parts, great business model.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have a retired military id and get a discount at home depot on fairfield. Been doing privacy fence 20 foot every month so it helps

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
The military discount at Lowe's has saved me tons of money. At this point, it's got to be approaching the amount of money I received from the GI Bill. But, that's refurbing an entire house, selling it and moving to another, then starting the whole update process again.

I believe you must have a My Lowe's account and have your military service verified through that account. I've seen them deny the discount for some not having gone through the process... and I'm ok with that. They are offering the discount, but you have to claim it through the proper process.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Home Depot didn’t offer a military discount until just a few years ago, but since we’ve not had any issues with them. I just prefer Lowe’s.

·
Super Moderator
7,058 Posts
The military discount at Lowe's has saved me tons of money. At this point, it's got to be approaching the amount of money I received from the GI Bill. But, that's refurbing an entire house, selling it and moving to another, then starting the whole update process again.

I believe you must have a My Lowe's account and have your military service verified through that account. I've seen them deny the discount for some not having gone through the process... and I'm ok with that. They are offering the discount, but you have to claim it through the proper process.
Additionally, when you complete the my Lowe’s verification process anything you order via Lowes.com will include your 10% discount.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts