Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CALLING ALL BOAT OWNERS AND ANYONE WHO ENJOYS FREEDOM !

My name is Richard, along with my wife Anita, we want to ask you for a few minutes of your time now that will provide you with a life time of good feelings and stories. I would like to introduce you to Military Appreciation Day, Inc. also known as MAD.

Military Appreciation Day, Inc. is a registered 501 (c) (3) Non-Profit Organization that is 100% volunteer based. No one takes a salary and 98% of all money raised goes directly to the benefit of our Honored Guests at our events. The remaining 2% is used for postage fees, insurance and other costs not incurred during our events.

History of MAD

In February of 2006 a newspaper in Wilmington, NC published a story about restaurants that were refusing entry to a group of Marines who had just returned from Iraq and Afghanistan. Rodney Carroll, Dan Smith and John Polosky were outraged and decided to do something about it!

Within a few weeks they raised almost $1000 and with the help of a donated van and a few marines they set forth on a mission to change this policy and pay tribute to those who have served America.

As they visited these restaurants and spent time with these young marines they were overwhelmed with the desire to show appreciation for our true American Heroes and thus the idea for Military Appreciation Day was born!

Within two short months, all of the planning for the event was completed and on May 20, 2006 men and women from all five branches of the Armed Services arrived for the First Annual Military Appreciation Day or MAD1.

The 225 service men and women who ventured out in volunteer and chartered vessels were greeted by pouring rain and howling winds, but the spirit of the day was not diminished as volunteers from North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia and Pennsylvania were on hand for one reason...

One, Simple, THANKS!

Each year we organize events such as MAD 4 where we hosted over 600 active duty, guard, reservists and dependents at our annual ?Take the Troops Fishing? event, followed by a cookout at Morehead City Park. Over 90 volunteer vessels participated along with almost 200 volunteers to make this day a tremendous success in showing the United States Military how much support they have!

We have a year round ?Take A Hero Fishing? program where volunteers take the troops fishing all year long. This is facilitated via a forum on our website. If you wish to participate in this program, simply register on our site, go to the Florida Forums, click on the ?Take A Hero Fishing? forum and state your wish to Take A Hero Fishing.

WE NEED YOU!

Our events are organized and managed by a group of dedicated volunteers and we need more! If you would like to volunteer to help us Thank Those Who Serve America, click on the Volunteer tab above.

We also need donations to help pay for these events for our heroes. No amount is too small! If you would like to make a tax deductible donation to MAD, click on the Donate tab above.

After over 20 years in the Army, my wife and I are moving to Panama City shorty, and we are hoping to expand MAD to the Emerald Coast.

As an Honored guest of MAD, I had the opportunity to feel the generosity and support from the volunteers of MAD. It made me stand a little taller and feel a little more pride for being in the Army. We want to keep this feeling alive and to spread it far and wide.

We are hoping to have a large event next summer, but as we are just starting out in the area there are many things to be determined at this time.

If this sounds like something you would be interested in helping with, please visit our website http://www.MilitaryAppreciationDay.org

The Florida area of the website is under development and will be available very soon. We will have a "Take A Hero Fishing" forum so we can get our local heroes on the water and enjoying our hospitality.

Thank you in advance for you generosity and support.

Rich Beaverson

[email protected]

Military Appreciation Day, Inc.

Anita Beaverson

[email protected]

Military Appreciation Day, Inc.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The take a hero fishing is open. I am hoping to spread the word to the major bases within the next 2 weeks, it may take a week or 2 after that to get the hero's checking the site. If you wish to take a service member fishing, register for the site, open the "Take a Hero Fishing" forum, in the title post the city and state you are putting in at in the body let us know how many hero's you wish to take along with you. If a hero sees it and is available for that time they will either post a reply to the forum or maybe leave you a private message. Another way is for the hero to post that they are available for a date, if you see that and you are fishing that day, give them a shout and let them know you can take them with you. Trust me when I say you will have a great time, the hero's smile are infective and will last a lifetime. After you register and sign in you will notice a forum group titled MAD 5 Panama City Florida July ? 2010. Keep an eye on it, once we have a solid date, that forum will start to come alive with information on our "Take the Troops Fishing Event". We are hoping for a great turn out. As Information comes available I will post it here for all to see.

Thank you for you support.

Rich

·
Registered
275 Posts
FY05CPO (8/15/2009)It is my honor to serve on active duty and thank you for the support that you have given us.:usaflag

Same here! Thank you for putting your time into such a wonderful and selfless venture. :usaflag

·
Registered
59 Posts
FY05CPO (8/15/2009)It is my honor to serve on active duty and thank you for the support that you have given us.:usaflag

Here here!! Like my fishing partner (FY05CPO), I am honored to serve such a wonderful country and I am very proud to be stationed here in P-Cola. This honestly is the ONLY place I have ever been stationed where I don't get glares and snarls when I mention I am in the service. My hat's off to all y'all for supporting us!! I will definitely pass the word around to the younger guys on the quay wall and Lexington pier when I see them.

Jeremy

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gents,

Our motto is "One Simple Thanks", and that's what it's all about, thanks for serving. If you can get me the number for the Pubic Affairs office on base it would be greatly appreciated. They are our best way to begin contact with the base to get the word to the service members besides word of mouth. Register at our website www.militaryappreciationday.org and start watching the take a hero fishing forum, hopefully the emerald coast fisherman will join and start posting to take heros on the water with them.

Rich

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bump, I know its bad form to bump yourself, but this is a great thing to participate in to help great people realize we appreciate what they do.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its already April and MAD 5 PC is what seems like right around the corner. Again, the event is July 31st at Bay Point Marina. The word has been getting out to the Troops in great numbers now and many are VERY interested. We need the boaters in the area to step up and help now. Registration for boat volunteers will officially open May 24th, but if you are interested in getting registered early go to www.militaryappreciationday.org and register on the website. After you have registered, sign in, click on the forums tab, click on the volunteer information link in the Panama City MAD 5 area and post a comment that you want to get on the list. I am the POC for volunteer boats for the event so if you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact me and I will answer your questions. If you have a 50 Sportfisher or a 14ft John, we could use your help. We are looking to put 250 rods on the water this year. Lets make it happen. If you know anyone that wants to help on land with cooking, site ops, or as helpers for the family events, have them sign up on the website and post in the volunteer forum as well, we need all the help we can get. Thanks for your support and hope to talk to you soon.

For those of you who are active duty, the honored guest information is up and running, you will find FAQ sheets to help answer your questions. If you own a boat, leave it at home, i know how it feels to want to go out on your boat that day, but let us do the driving!!! This day is for and and to say thank you to you and your family. We have some great things lined up for your family to enjoy while you are fishing, so please bring them along. Sign up for the event will be May 24th also, so sign up early, unfortunately we can only host the first 250 who sign up. There will be a stand-by list in case we get someone who can't go, or we cannot contact them.

All..when you register on the MAD website you will receive newsletter from the admin to keep you up to date on all thing happening with MAD. Please sign up and become a member.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bump. Is this being read or ignored? If there is someone interested please let me know, we ARE NOT part of the wounded warrior project with Linda Cope. We take anyone in uniform fishing, but we cannot do it without the help of the area's private boat owners. Please step up and show the military heroes of our nation you support them!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts