Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit up midbay bridge, 2 sheepies lost more than I care to report. I can say 12 lb test isn't crap on barnacles or sheepshead teeth. Bite was slow. Had some schooling around the boat, would drop down and they'd be more interested in staring at my egg weight then the bait. Watched a few couples chase each other around the pylons like kids around a tree trunk.

Reactions: jack2

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,915 Posts
20 lb. braid w/ 3-4' of 20 lb. flouro connected via an Albright Knot should save you from most of those breakoffs in the future. :)

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
@ GK both. I catch my own fiddlers or like them. They are more darker in color than bait n tackle fiddlers. Find them along mud banks in brackish water. Same size.

Thafish I appreciate that! I'm respooling tomorrow. Why no swivel with egg sinker? I had to use 3 oz weight today.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah GK it ticks me off also when I can see them; bastards. Felt like tossing my cast net down on them.

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,915 Posts
Thafish I appreciate that! I'm respooling tomorrow. Why no swivel with egg sinker? I had to use 3 oz weight today.
Not a problem man! I generally try to use as little weight as possible. Just enough to get it down to them. Split shots on the flouro work for that. If you need to use an egg sinker, whatever the size may be, put it on your main line, then a bead (optional), then a barrel swivel, then your flouro, then your hook.

·
Registered
536 Posts
If they are flat brown crabs that do not have the "fiddle" claw then they are probably wharf crabs. They are often found under boards and logs. They look like the picture below. This one is a little lighter because it was on light sand, but they can be almost solid brown / black.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fisher dad they look like this:

Find them up in Milton along the BW river. Too often I see bait shops no having them during cold weather and that's when I like to go! Fair weather people are in doors. But that little wharf crab would work :thumbup:. Wouldn't hurt my feelings to put that sucker down on the bottom amongst sheepshead.

Attachments

·
VIP of the PFF
8,541 Posts
Fisher dad they look like this:

Find them up in Milton along the BW river. Too often I see bait shops no having them during cold weather and that's when I like to go! Fair weather people are in doors. But that little wharf crab would work :thumbup:. Wouldn't hurt my feelings to put that sucker down on the bottom amongst sheepshead.
Are you digging them or trapping them ? I use to dig them up in the winter to catch sheepshead ,but I got lazy and started buying them. Oh to go back to the good ole days, when very few people fished for sheepshead.Now they have become so popular that the bait stores can't keep fiddlers in stock. So now i'm going to try to design some sort of trap to catch them so that I can go fishing "I hate using shrimp for sheepshead, to many trash fish like them."

·
Registered
536 Posts
That's cool that you have a spot to find the crabs in the winter. When I was a teenager I used to catch those wharf crabs consistently all year at a little park that had a seawall made of interlocking flat concrete slabs. It was a two person job. One person straddled the rock (butt facing the water) and lifted the slab which was designed to interlock in such a fasion that it was almost hinged on the second slab below it (second slab was lowere and closer to the waterline). The other person would kneel in front of the slab and when it was lifted up, he would start reaching under and grabbing the crabs. Always found them there.

I went back there about ten years ago when I moved back to the area, and the interlocking slabs had been replaced with small boulders. Crabs were still there, but impossible to catch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts