Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Reserved site at GSP this morning (*for the lumpy tides after the full moon of May).

Been a long time, but have resolved to attempt three trips per year for the rest of my days. Even if I have to sleep in a tent like the old days, but I much prefer the hammock now.

Planning to grab sandfleas and will have cast nets per usual. Rigging for Pomps and hoping for some clean water. Can fish pier as well, but MUCH prefer the beaches or jetties (where I started in the 80's).

Been a long time since a Spring trip. Usually fish Ft. Morgan in October, Reds, Kings, Spanish, Sharks, etc.

Be my first time to target Pompano and first time to bait with sandfleas, but think I get the gist of it all. Pope311 videos are great (even though he fishes the wrong coast).

Thanks for any advice that you may think I need.

Lifelong fisherman, just located too damn far to bust the salty with any regularity (yet). And on short funds. Selling my plastic kayak soon, rolled it good in the surf down there last time.

I got rigs to tie and rods/reels to sort out. Cheers!

*specific details in PM or EM only for "security".

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Let me ask you folks a more specific question, say the beach is nasty with vegetation, then what? Not bringing any boats this time, not renting a ride.

Pier? The Pier QA section here has helped me learn a bit about pier fishing. Always a bit intimidated by the crowd and I never caught anything on the old County pier that was in St. Andrews. I forget when it blew away. I've just not been around a pier when there was any real action going on.

Any Jetties worth fishing in the area? (GS/OB)

Am flexible, and can take this line of questioning to other sections if necessary.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All righty then. Looks like everything is hot all at once and that June Grass moves around and in and out and weather will be my biggest factor.

Have collected a list of areas to try when I cannot make the beach work and am ready to properly approach pier fishing with a whole different attitude.

Still am stoked to try lots of the new things I've learned from helpful shore fishermen.

Some years ago, "Gator" (of Indian Pass) not only put us on some Redfish, but gave me his morning catch of Spanish. It'll be different fishing this close to town. I've not done it in some time.

I'm changing jobs, so I might just stay a while. :whistling:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The piers most of the time have action, surf fishing is my favorite land fishing.
I have seen allot of fish caught under the bridge at Perdido Pass
Hey thanks Tom, didn't see your reply before making that last post.

As I'm flying solo this time I should be flexible enough to get on some fish as weather permits. Hope to do much more checking around of various places, rather than parking at one place and "making it work".

Now to sort out my camping needs, it's been a while.

Yes, that pass and point are high on my list of spots to investigate. Thanks again.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Wade, you sound a lot like me in that you get to spend a lot more time thinking about the coast than actually being there, good luck...and don't forget to post a report. "Keep a line in the water" Fishin'Don

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Wade, you sound a lot like me in that you get to spend a lot more time thinking about the coast than actually being there, good luck...and don't forget to post a report. "Keep a line in the water" Fishin'Don
Here's my report:

12 May-Friday's storm shut down the beach with murky water and June Grass.

13-14th Sat/Sun We tried the GSP pier to no avail. The pass was totally clogged with weekenders, didn't try it.

Sunday afternoon I made my way out to Dauphin Island to set up camp (solo) and even though Ft Morgan beaches were clearing up, DI was sill a mess.

15th Monday I wasted time looking around the island and then made my way out to the west end. Found some fleas and some Pomps. Caught one HH and two Whiting on FB whilst raking for the random sandflea.

16th Tuesday tried to repeat, nothing doing. Flat surf, no fleas, no Pomps. But the earlier Salts had nailed some Specks (said the bite died when the sun hit the water). Bait was everywhere. Fish were feeding, saw tiny fry by the millions, and also great schools of bait being chased and cruising at the edge of casting distance. Was beautiful, but couldn't get a hook engaged.

I could cast to the feeding fish, but had nothing they liked. So much more to learn. But i enjoy that part too.

Wanted to stay but was worn out and couldn't swing my hammock at the campground. It was perfect at GSP (despite the deer flies!) primitive sites, much cooler than a tent for afternoon napping.

Campfire cookery of my first Pompano:

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts