Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Launched out of White Point at 4pm. Saw something utterly destroying full-size mullet right after launching. It was insane, they were literally flopping onshore escaping whatever it was. I'm assuming flipper but never saw any fins, so who knows. Pushed out to the bridge to check out what the bait was doing since it's the big transition this time of year. They have been steadily pushing out a little deeper every time I go out. No reds this time, but a lot of bait and birds on top. Was only working artificials this time and still somehow landed the requisite hardheads and sailcats before things got interesting. Slowed my presentation and started bumping the bottom around pilings after giving up on working the bait balls. Landed three undersize flounder then things got interesting real quick while trying to find a bigger flounder.

Working my lightest rod/reel and line combo with an 1/8th oz jig and gulp swim mullet it felt like I snagged a cinder block and then it took off away from the bridge. It hugged the bottom like a stingray but shook like a red so I figured real quick it was probably a black drum. Over 20mins later I landed one of my PB fish of any species, a black drum coming in at over 25lbs on my rusted out lip-grip scale. It was a freakin' hoss. A fellow fishermen and his son on a nearby boat saw me making a ruckus and took some pics. If you're on here, thanks again! Got the drum photo'd and dehooked and he swam away strong.

Reactions: timjb83 and NLytle

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
I'll bet that was fun! And I like the mesh pantyhose - but only one leg? :whistling:

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll bet that was fun! And I like the mesh pantyhose - but only one leg? :whistling:
Well, they say it's all in the presentation...

·
Registered
372 Posts
Awesome catch! Even better on the light tackle:thumbup:

I like your fish bag on your bow. Would you mind telling me the brand name and about the cost?

Thanks

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome catch! Even better on the light tackle:thumbup:

I like your fish bag on your bow. Would you mind telling me the brand name and about the cost?

Thanks
I got it a year or so ago from Liquid Surf & Sail in FWB, not sure if they still have them in stock, was about $40.

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,995 Posts
Looking good!!! Seems like the winds have slacked off in the pm unless you were hugging the bridge.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looking good!!! Seems like the winds have slacked off in the pm unless you were hugging the bridge.
It was still gusting 10-15 when I launched but went completely still about 530.

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,995 Posts
It was still gusting 10-15 when I launched but went completely still about 530.
Dude, it was the Fishing Gods that showed up when it stopped. Bet that's when you got the big hook up!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts