Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may have received this email already. I wanted to post it here for members who are not affiliated with BoatUS. This situation just plain blows. I hope I am high enough on perdido bay to alleviate alot of issues so if there is anything I can do to help you guys further down that are working against time, don't hesitate to ask.

Mark

Dear BoatUS Member:
The Marine Insurance division of BoatUS has been actively following news accounts of the ever-expanding oil slick in the Gulf of Mexico that is now threatening coastal areas in several states. Forecasters say changes in wind direction could see the light oil slick, which some news reports describe as an "iced-tea" like sheen about as thin as a layer of paint, making landfall as early as today.
As this giant slick approaches marinas, clubs, and boatyards, thousands of boats may be affected. Here are some suggestions to protect your boat:
If your marina or boat club puts oil containment booms in place, do not attempt to cross the booms with your boat. This will only spread the oil and damage the booms or possibly your vessel's running gear.
If there is oil in your marina, refrain from running engines or other devices that have seawater intakes such as air conditioners or refrigerators.
Hauling out your boat will prevent damage, but as of press time it was not clear if these costs will be reimbursed by British Petroleum (BP).
If the spill is sighted coming toward your marina or already there, call the BP Community Information Hotline at 866-448-5816 to make a report.
You are in our thoughts at BoatUS and we hope for the best possible outcome in this situation.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts