Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
FISH A HOLIC
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm thinking of going to the Mill pond in Febuary around Valentines day weekend with the Girlfriend to try to put some of those big crackers in the boat. Anybody have any insight if this will be a good time to try for em ?

Basnbud

·
Tyler Walker
1,587 Posts
From what I hear the great fishing in that lake is a thing of the past. Grass has taking over and its just gone down his; however, I could be wrong. Maybe you'll post up a mess of slabs on here and I can follow behind you though! I'm in Marianna during the weekdays anyway.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's still a beautiful lake and you can catch fish all day long, just maybe not 10" keepers. I never realized how big a 10" shell cracker was until we went there!:)

·
Senior Yakker
2,774 Posts
Hopefully it has been recovering well, but they drained that place last winter. I went in early May and had a very hard time finding legal 'crackers. The year before, It was the best bream fishing I've ever seen. They didn't drain the lake entirely, but it was enough to put a hurting on the snail population...at least that's what I noticed. They did it to kill the grass off, but in doing so, I think they thinned out the giant 'cracker's favorite food. I caught 5 legal ones in four days fishing. The year before I caught 16 in two days plus released about a hundred 9 1/2 inchers. I hope it's better this year. I'm planning a trip in the spring. On a side note, if the bream ain't biting, there are some MASSIVE bass in that lake to chase around. I caught a twelve pounder last year. Live baby bream are the ticket for them. Just don't use the baby shellcracker...they have a 10" size limit. FWC does patrol that lake.

·
Senior Yakker
2,774 Posts
I don't have a clue about how they bite in Feb btw. Hell, that might be a great time to get 'em out deep. Use the biggest earthworms you can find...hooked only once, freelined with a small hook and minimal weight. If you go, please report, if you don't mind. I'd love to know how it goes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
We went in May also, Memorial Day weekend. Between 2 of us, we only caught 2 keeper crackers. I just figured they were rare!
Congratulations about that big bass. If I caught that I'd probably carry it around stuffed for a year, I'd be so proud!
Good to know it used to be much better. Maybe by February it will be recovered even more. We will definitely report back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I fished there when I was kid, about 27 years ago. We use to rent a boat and trolling motor from a guy there - was it Hastings Landing? Not sure, fun times though - you could just put around there and see monsters.

·
Registered
807 Posts
March is the best time to fish for the crackers.

If you go in February the way we caught fish were to slow troll in the deeper water.

In March the crackers will be bedding up.

Now if you find them bedding remember they do not bed like bluegill. The male ( rooster) will fan his own bed. Usually at the bottom of a tree trunk. If you catch him you must return him or the bed is no more good. The females will go in search of another rooster.

Now when fishing the bed place your bait on the outside of the bed. The females will swim around the bed and feed. If you put it on the bed the rooster will move it off the bed.

Very important the rooster will not use another roosters bed!!!!!!

·
Tyler Walker
1,587 Posts
If you go in February then you might catch the bass while they are bedding. We usually get a warm streak in February and the bass bite really turns on. If you want to catch some small bream to use as bass bait just go below the spill way on the other side of hwy 90 and throw a cricket behind the restaurant beside the cypress stumps. You'll catch stump knockers by the hundreds in just a few minutes.

·
FISH A HOLIC
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well we are goin on thursday ! gonna stay till saturday night. called yesterday to confirm res, and they said it was lost ( big surprise ) but they were gracious enough to put us in another cabin without a shower. yay! weather looks pretty good, got a big bucket of wigglers, and a big bunch of red worms to take with us. I'll be sure to take pics and give a report when we get back. maybe snap a pic of scarface !

Basnbud.

·
Senior Yakker
2,774 Posts
For such an awesome location, those people at Arrowhead don't seem to care much about that place. Wish they'd sell it to someone who gives a damn about running a campground. The lake is worth it though. Good luck with scarface :)

·
FISH A HOLIC
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
gonna take my triton. yeah the campground staff need a good lesson in customer service and a good cleaning lesson also !

·
Tyler Walker
1,587 Posts
If you're interested a buddy of mine has been catching some good stripers and really big cats at the Jim Woodruff Dam. That's not far at all from arrowhead. Just giving the a little insight. Good luck and look forward to seeing your reports!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was surprised to see someone mention Merritts Mill pond on this forum. Although I seldom fish there anymore, it is some of my old stomping grounds. Clear water calls for small diameter/test line. Flourocarbon is even better. Night fishing is even better. the grass varies from year to year. Some years its thick and others it is fishable. If you pull into an cove and see what may appear to be numerous small fast torpedos take off underneath the water that leave a large wake, dont be alarmed, it is probably the LARGE grass carb that are stocked in the pond. If the pond is low, watch out for stumps.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts