Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Monsanto had a large PCB spill into Escambia River in the Late 60s. It is still there in the sediments and is being taken up by the organisms and accumulated. Skin your fish. Check out the actual data at http://uwf.edu/cedb/ then go to the fish atlas. There is some really good information.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thanks! Very interesting info. From what I could see, the data was taken from skinned filets. Does contamination occur in the skin at greater levels?

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
I have always heard that the fat layer between the connective tissue (meat) and the skin holds a lot of contaminants.... I have been skinning my fish for over 20 years because I think it taste better... Not sure if the info I have is correct, but somebody on here will know.... T

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The PCB's accumulate in the fat, the skinned fillets always were lower counts of PCB's than those with the skin left on.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Thats a shame! where as its supposed to be the area with the most omega benefits, its now the area with the most pollutants.

We continue to let these companies dump toxins into our water everyday.

GULF POWER,SOLUTIA AND ALL THESE OTHER FACTORIES THAT ARE LOCAL AND WATERSIDE. BIG THANKS TO THE EPA AND DEP, YOU IDIOTS SURE NOW HOW TO TAKE A PAYOFF. DONT TELL ME WHAT ACCEPTABLE LEVELS ARE. YOU CAN BARELY DRINK THE WATER AROUND HERE. LOOK UP THE CANCER STATISTICS FOR ESCAMBIA.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was looking through my notes and all the sharks they tested over 3 feet long had high levels of Hg

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Forrest (10/28/2009)what about mercury levels in our gulf tuna, are they high as well??
I have heard they were really high, and when you get closer to Louisiana they go even higher........... Just what I heard though........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts