Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The past few times I'veran it its been putting out pretty heavy, thick, white smoke for a good min or so.Its never done this before untill now and it hasnt sat for a long time. Is this a serious problem?

Its a 2003 40 Mercury oil injected 2 stroke

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Ummmmmm...White smoke...OIL

My thoughts are maybe the oil injection might need adjusting...are the plugs getting fouled?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, when the weather clears up I'll see if theres oil on the plugs

I just wanted to make sure that it couldn't be anything serious

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Bubba (10/18/2007)I would think white smoke would be from steam. MHO
Steam doesn't produce heavy thick white smoke, it's a vapor that dissipates rather quickly. Also as stated this occurs upon start-up, for a minute and the engine for one wouldn't be hot enough to produce the vapor and the ambient temperature is too warm. I'd bet Bubba's smoke has a odor (oil smell) as steam would lack that odor.

·
Registered
782 Posts
usually on oil pumps if they become disconected from the throttle linkage, they are spring loaded to run wide open. this could be possible or that steam mixed with a little smoke really looks like alot of smoke, very deceiving. i would definitly pull your plugs.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
What I have found on rather a large amount of oil injected 2 strokes.... there is a check valve at the end of the oil line where it meets the fuel line... if this valve leaks, it allows the oil to flow back into the fuel line, thus when you start the engine you are starting it on lots of oil... then it clears up... and appears to run fine... I say this because you said it smokes when you first crank it for a few minutes.. just something i would check....:usaflag

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies, the plugs were pretty gunked up im going to get some new ones.

Ill check that valve, if I can find it... Ill have to look later this afternoon when I have time:hotsun

Thanks,

Dillon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts