Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever used dead Menhaden to chum for sharks or other fish?
Is it legal? I'll check with FWC later.

Anyway What I am thinking about is all the dead Menhaden we have on our shores in Bayou Chico that are laying there stinking, rotting and being unsightly.

Word has it that an overpopulation of these small fish resulted in oxygen depletion and death. I have seen this several times since I came here in 1996. Apparently in other years, commercial fishermen netted these fish before they died. I have not seen that the last few years...? What was the market for these fish?

I am thinking we can find a legal way of disposing of these dead fish, we can get volunteers,,,? Sea Scouts, neighbors, PFFers and property owners to net the dead fish from their boats, put them in 55 gallon barrels and offer them to shark or ______? anglers for chum.
Like killing 2 fish with one stone:rolleyes:

Any thoughts?

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,981 Posts
I'd love to film, above and below the surface, a 55 gal drum full of them dumped upcurrent of a large wreck. :notworthy:

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Menhaden is a great all around chum...however, I think after they die and bloat, the oil is gone. Outcast used to sell gallon jugs of menhaden oil and you used a drip spout to disperse it.
You going to store the drums in your yard? Have to vent them or boom...lol.

·
Registered
13,755 Posts
I think if you scooped them up, and then dumped them in the pass on a falling tide, so they would not stink up the bay, they would become crab food.

·
Green Eggs And Ham
9,805 Posts
I'd love to film, above and below the surface, a 55 gal drum full of them dumped upcurrent of a large wreck. :notworthy:

I did that on a small scale. I would catch a load of small LY's in tha net and when I got to the reef, I would dump half out into the water so the remaining in the livewell wouldn't get their slime coat rubbed off, very important. It was like I dumped 50 raw chickens into a pool of piranhas. Bones, snapper, AJs.........

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,981 Posts
I did that on a small scale. I would catch a load of small LY's in tha net and when I got to the reef, I would dump half out into the water so the remaining in the livewell wouldn't get their slime coat rubbed off, very important. It was like I dumped 50 raw chickens into a pool of piranhas. Bones, snapper, AJs.........
Bet that's when the hook tipped with vienna sausage would have caught something........

·
Green Eggs And Ham
9,805 Posts
Yeah the eyes on the surrounding boaters got as big as a cookie. I think a bare gold hook would have caught a fish.

Another time me and the ole lady went out on a semi ruff day in hopes of it calming down later (according to the weather report). I was loaded down with big Ly's and sigs. When we got to the reef the wind slowly started kicking up and the I-pilot couldn't keep up and mad as heck I told my better half we needed to head back in. So instead of keeping the bait and freezing it I dumped all of the live bait back. The frenzy was insane, I thought my wife was gonna cry as she looked at the huge snappers and AJ's tearing the water up going after those live baits.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts