Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get my my dad some nice mechanical broadheads for Christmas, but I'm unfamiliar with what is out there. I've done some research at the different outdoor suppliers, but I want some hunter feedback here. I'm goint to get him a set of those guillotine heads for turkeys, I think it's time he tried getting one with a bow. All opinions are welcome here. Thanks.

Josh

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
I've shot Wasp Jak-Hammer II's for 10 years and love them. The group I hunt with has had 100 % kill/retrieve ratio. Not one lost, all total around 20 + deer. The blades are I believe 036 thick and don't fail.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
yes I believe they are, however go to wasps web site and check for sure. Just google it to find the web page. It is www.wasparchery.com

·
Registered
258 Posts
I know I'll be shooting the Rage broadheads next year. Didn't this season but a few friends I hunt with did and the make the sickest entry hole and blood trail I've ever seen from any other broadhead. You would'nt go wrong with the 2 or 3 blade.

Anthony

·
Registered
393 Posts
I second Anthony. I had a buddy shoot a 7 point with the two blade Rage broadheads and man did it look like the deer got hit with an axe. I got me a set and shot a doe and she didn't go 30 yards. They put the most devestating entry hole I have ever seen.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I third Anthony & Sean! I shot the Rage 3 blade this season with devastating effects. Took 4 does during bow season and all 4 had nasty entry wounds (and nasty exit wounds on 2 of them). I mean these deer didn't stand a stance of surviving the destruction those 3 blade Rage caused.

1 doe dropped in her tracks - 0 yds

1 doe went about 10 yds

1 doe mangaed 15-20 yds

1 doe tried to escape, but fell at 50yds

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you have to worry about not getting a pass through, or an exit for that matter with regards to trailing the animal. Alot of the reviews that I've read complain that if you don't get an exit wound the animal won't bleed and you won't be able to find it. I question this because even if the arrow doesn't exit the animal, there is still a massive amount of internal bleeding. Couple that with some decent tracking and you should have no problem recovering the animal. What do you all think?

·
Registered
448 Posts
This is my first yr. bow hunting so I may not be a whole of help, but try to check the weight of the broadhead that your dad is using now. You want to make sure you get him the same grain as what he already shoots so he can use them right away. I'm not sure about the exiting question though. I've killed a cowhorn and a doe this yr and both of them went right through. The first one was a perfect shot, just to the right of the front left shoulder and came out the front right leg. That one hopped 25-30 yds before he started doing doughnuts on his side. The second wasnt as good of a shot but went right through and made a solid blood trail straight to the deer.

Take care. kenny

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
I shot one deer this week through both shoulder blade bones with a Rage 2 blade expandable. It was a good pass through and piled the deer up within 30 yards of my stand. It was unbelievable and the blade wasn't even hurt. The second one was a little high through the back and out the left side. It made it about 50 yards and i saw it pile up from the stand. Both deer had huge holes and great blood trails even though I didnt need them. I saw another Doe shot this year with a spine shot from Rage 2 blade. It buried completely into the back vertebrates and the deer dropped in its tracks. I also witnessed a friend shoot a Doe with a 3 blade Rage and it expirerd in view within 50 yards. It also left a soup can size hole in both sides and blood was pouring out the side as it ran off. As far as I can tell Ragehas convinced me with the last 4 deer that they are very effective even through bone,and they like a field point.

·
Registered
448 Posts
hey Done you said that the rage went through both shoulders and didnt damage the blades ?. My muzzy looked like someone punded it with a sledge hammer after coming out the front right leg.

take care. kenny

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Kenny, if you are going to shoot a fixed blade, shoot the montec. They are bad as hell. More or less it is shot placement. But when I think of shooting a mechanical broadhead in the mix of all the other cluster F#*K it takes to shoot one of these spooky ass deer in the south, to me it just adds one more possible mechanical failure. Maybe I am a little old school, but other than the bow itself, I try to eliminate mechanical stuff, or just keep it simple. ie no fall away rest, no mechanical broadheads and such. Just my 2 cents

ps. not long ago someone posted a web site that compared a bunch of different broadheads on flight pattern and penetration. I am sure one of the other forum members can pull that up

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
Yep, no damage. It was also still very sharp and I intend to shoot another deer with it. It's mounted on my #1 arrow. The only drawback is that both shoulders were damaged very bad and I wasnt able to salvage the meat. Bone fragments and bad hemmorage everywhere.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts