Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone remember the name of the processor in Milton (right off 90)? I keep hearing good things about his smoked sausage and I've got quite a few deer I would like to get made into ground and linked sausage. I typically use Oaks or Thompson's, but everybody says this guy's sausage is better. Any thoughts? thanks

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
hey will, we just got ours back from some place over towards foley, and man it is good. He makes summer sausage, as well as like some deer jerky sticks. We took 6 deer over there and they called a week later with it all done. I will ask my dad the name of the place if you will give me a holler I will let you know

wes

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I haven't tried Lee's, but I have had their Summer Sausage and it's great. I took my deer last year to Cajun Specialty meats - best processor I ever used !!! The Italian Sausage was the best, and they make their hamburger already mixed and spiced - don't need to add anything and everybody that tried it said it was the best tasting burger they ever ate. They also do things like Backstrap stuffed with crawfish etoufee if you're into fancy dishes.

They're a little spendy - but I'll use them again for sure. Located on Hildeberg (sp?) right behind McGuires restaurant.

Ed

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forgot about Cajun Specialty, I will give them a call and check their prices vs. Lee's. I've got about a dozen good size backstraps, so I might at least take a couple of those their to try the crawfish stuffing.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Rammer Jammer (12/3/2007)Anyone remember the name of the processor in Milton (right off 90)? I keep hearing good things about his smoked sausage and I've got quite a few deer I would like to get made into ground and linked sausage. I typically use Oaks or Thompson's, but everybody says this guy's sausage is better. Any thoughts? thanks
You must not be hunting in Bluewater this year.:poke

For smoked link, you won't find any better than Lee's Meat Market in Milton.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Geronimo (12/3/2007)
Rammer Jammer (12/3/2007)Anyone remember the name of the processor in Milton (right off 90)? I keep hearing good things about his smoked sausage and I've got quite a few deer I would like to get made into ground and linked sausage. I typically use Oaks or Thompson's, but everybody says this guy's sausage is better. Any thoughts? thanks
You must not be hunting in Bluewater this year.:poke

For smoked link, you won't find any better than Lee's Meat Market in Milton.
Yeah, I'm still in Bluewater, but I got invited to a "doe killin' contest" in Camden this weekend and I got a pile a meat I got to drop off somewhere to be processed.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I have a processor for those back straps, just bring them buy my house and put them in the freezer. I will let you know when they get out of the frying pan!:poke

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Caspr21 (12/3/2007)I have a processor for those back straps, just bring them buy my house and put them in the freezer. I will let you know when they get out of the frying pan!:poke
:Flipbird

·
Auburn Grad - 1999
3,548 Posts
Circle W use to process I do believe. They are on hwy 90.

Not to knock Lee's just get ready to bend over and get way less meat than you take in. The last time I went there...and I stress the last time...I took 3 175 bucks and 3 doeswe had killed one weekend. I even deboned it before taking it. I got back less than a regular 50quart cooler back and he wanted to charge me $130. I told him he could keep it for that. I've never been disappointed with Oaks. Taken nearly the same amount of meat...got back more than I expected and the price has always been right. Lee's does make good sausage but I won't be back to taste it.

Camp 31 in Brewton makes some great link sausage and summer sausage also.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Lee's , It depends on what you want, I turned in 1 deer for summer saussage cost 120.00 turned in 1 deer for sausage & hamburger for 30.00 I think he 's resonable ( big deer).

·
Registered
838 Posts
I think Circle W quit processing deer a couple of years ago. I got 2 at Lees and 1 at Cajun Specialities which I cant wait to get back

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Grassflatsfisher (12/3/2007)Circle W use to process I do believe. They are on hwy 90.

Not to knock Lee's just get ready to bend over and get way less meat than you take in. The last time I went there...and I stress the last time...I took 3 175 bucks and 3 doeswe had killed one weekend. I even deboned it before taking it. I got back less than a regular 50quart cooler back and he wanted to charge me $130. I told him he could keep it for that. I've never been disappointed with Oaks. Taken nearly the same amount of meat...got back more than I expected and the price has always been right. Lee's does make good sausage but I won't be back to taste it.

It's been a while since I've processed anything at all, but $130 doesn't sound too bad for a total of 6 deer (if I read you post right) - that's a lot of meat. On the other hand, yeah you should have received back way more than a 50 quart cooler full of packaged meat. What all did you have done, just hams and shoulders and what did you have it made into? The other guy said onedeer was $30 bucks for ground and sausage, which I am assuming was two hams and two shoulders. According to that rate, you actually made out better than he did. 6 deer at $30 would have been $180. At any rate, I may just stick with Oaks in Chumuckla - I know they do a great job and can expect to get what I pay for. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I took Lee'sthree deer last year. One was a 155# deer, another was 180# deer and the last one was an 80# deer. I deboned everything and kept out the backstrap and I ended up with 100# of meat. I got everything put into smoked link and smoked summer sausage. Of course smoking adds more to the cost of the final product. I ended up paying $225 forit all. So I guess at that rate one could figure to spend $2.25 for every pound of raw meat if you're getting smoked link and summer sausage made.

Like I said in an earlier post, IMO nobody compares to Lee's when it comes to smoked link sausage and I've tried them all in this area with the exception of Carl's in Loxley and he's brand new.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I can't knock Lee's . My family has used him (Charles Holland)for years. I just got back two deer (less two hams) and had all of it made into burger, the meat that I got back filled the cooler that I took it in and it was only $45. Lee's makes the best sausage in town. I have had Oakes meat before and it was very "gamey" tasting and had a lot of bone chips in the hamburger meat.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
As far as Burger and Cubed staek Cajun Spec CANNOT be beat. They are "spendy" but man it is worth it. I'll try the fancy stuff next time. (stuffed and what not)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Cajun specialty meats is with out the best way. hell we all spend enough $$$ on feed, seed, travel, etc. whats another couple bucks to have a backstrap or tenderloin stuffed your choice of shrimp, crawfish, shrimp &crawfish,or even stuffed with sausage!

·
Auburn Grad - 1999
3,548 Posts
Rammer Jammer (12/4/2007)
Grassflatsfisher (12/3/2007)Circle W use to process I do believe. They are on hwy 90.

It's been a while since I've processed anything at all, but $130 doesn't sound too bad for a total of 6 deer (if I read you post right) - that's a lot of meat. On the other hand, yeah you should have received back way more than a 50 quart cooler full of packaged meat. What all did you have done, just hams and shoulders and what did you have it made into? The other guy said onedeer was $30 bucks for ground and sausage, which I am assuming was two hams and two shoulders. According to that rate, you actually made out better than he did. 6 deer at $30 would have been $180. At any rate, I may just stick with Oaks in Chumuckla - I know they do a great job and can expect to get what I pay for. Thanks!
You miss read what I said...I took in huge 90qt cooler that we couldn't even begin to shut the lid on to them. When I went to pick it up he brings out 2 brown grocery bags full of meat...where did the other 150lbs +/- go? Had I gotten everything back that I took in I would have been very happy with $130...I was expecting $200+ for what I took in. I've had two bad experiences there. Won't be back. They do make some great sausage that I miss....oh well...will have to do with out. Oaks does a great job.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts