Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well no bucks today but still a great hunt with a great friend. I called up Garbo this morning and told him to ask momma if he could come out and play. He headed over to the house and we stopped and ate lunch and off to Rome, AL to the woods. Pulled out a stand and walked in the woods for a little kinda showing him around. We normally dont shoot does in January to keep the pressure off the bucks, well we got to the sign in board and the President showed up and we all agreed to have a meat hunt since its the last day. Curtis and myself drove to a big cotton field that is planted with a cover crop. I put him in a shooting house and promised him that he would see a deer. Sure nuff a little after 5pm "boom" he has one down, at the same time I had 6 does 150 yards in front of me that I was trying to get a shot on, after he shot they wondered back into the woods. Well I started hearing a buck grunting chasing a doe, one of the guys seen a real nice buck chasing in the same field so I eased down and walked over and was within 150-200 yards from 7 does which came out 2 at a time, well it was getting late and had one doe about 150 yards away. I took aim and as I shot I seen a heard of cows coming around the head right behind the deer I was shooting at, as I shot I tried to redirect my shot so I wouldnt hit a cow, evidently the other does ran those cows around the point towards me. I thought I was good and made a clean miss of the deer and cows. Headed over to help Curtis drag out his doe and about 600 yards later we were at the truck. He told me he saw that one doe and a nice what would have been 120" 10pt but was broke off on his right side so he was a big 7pt which he let walk.We talked and agreed to go make sure I made a clean miss on that doe, we headed over and looked for blood and didnt see any at all, I just happened to shine my light in the woods and saw eyes. We walked over and it was the doe and I hit her and broker her back leg, Curtis ran back to the truck in the mushy cow field and made it back to me with the gun, he held the light and I put her down. At that point Im glad we made the effort to look for that doe. I was for sure I missed that deer when I threw my barrel out of the way to miss the cowsbut I just shot back and hit her in the leg. Well we drag her back to the truck and met the other guys. We had 3 does killed within 15 min of each other, made it to the house we cleaned 3 deer and Curtis headed home. Not my finest hour but a blast. Curtis saw 1 doe and 1 rack buck, I saw 13 does, and there was 2 other does seen in a peanut field and one was shot. Not the best year Ive had but once again enjoyed every minute of it and counting down to Oct 15th. Thanks again to Curtis for the company and sorry for the long post. Only pic I have is from yesterday but its the same stand and the same 6 does.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
"Curtis ran back to the truck in the mushy cow field"

It wasn't a problem at all, even in Rubber Boots, 8" Mud and Grass, Fully Camoed up, Carring a loaded weapon, In the Dark, Uphill, that was an excellent example of my Well trained and conditioned Body is all. Just sayin.

Chase, it was a great day, and a great end to the season, "In Alabama". We still got SmokePole Florida...............................

1 - 3 of 3 Posts