Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am contemplating trying to grind some deer meat into deer burger. I saw someone using bacon to add some fat content back to the mix, and that sounds like something that would work well. I have saved up some deer that needs processing.

I have thought about going to a processor. I would rather do it myself if possible. Save money and I know what is in my food, which is always nice. I already have a meat cuber that works GREAT!

Anyone out there have any comments on particular meat grinder brands, sizes, etc? Especially ones to stay away from, or <U>ones that you have and use yourself</U>? I only want to spend150 dollars or less on this thing.

I saw some hand crank style grinders with a removable pulley in case you wanted to hook it up to a motor. They were around $50 or so.

I used a #32 grinder to grind up chum for fishing in the past. It could grind up a whole ruby-redlip without much effort on the crank, so that might be an option.

Let me know what you think!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I promise that beef fat will work a lot better than pork fat. While bacon and pork fat will add some good flavor it is still very soft. Beef fat will add some sustenance to your burger mix. I would go to a butcher and ask for all the ribeye lips and filet chain meat you can get. I used to give it away in my shop...I could not move it for .50 a lb during deer season...So I ground it up and called it high fat steak grind and sold it all day for $4 bucks a lb...anyway just my .02 worth

In regards to a grinder...look fora 3/4 hp to 1hp grinder. Any brand should work but look for one that lets you add attachments like sausage stuffer etc.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I've used bacon ends or cheap bacon. I rinse the salt off before adding it in. Usually 4 scoops of venision to one scoop of bacon or ends for burger, 4 scoops venison to 2 scoops bacon or ends for a sausage base.

My experience with household grinders (250 watts or so) is that won't stand up for very long, they will only grind on coarse, and they have to be cleaned often. A big cast iron hand grinder works better. Here is one at Bass Pro, although I think I bought mine at academy.

http://tinyurl.com/yh4g4w3

Using beef fat and a big power grinder sounds like a better way to go, at least for general purpose burger. Thanks, Chef, I intend to try that. Where would you get such a grinder for cheap? Would you use the beef fat also if making sausage?

Joraca

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
I have never used pork fat for burger, only my sausage.I just call the grocery stores,ie.. Foodworld,Food tiger,Winndixie, and ask if they have any BEEF fat. I make sure it is beef fat, some buthcers either don't care or don't know the diffrence between pork and beef, but beef should be more chunky, pork is usually thin sliced and mushy. If you are just making burger meat I add some hamburger seasoning made by conechu? I cube my meat before grinding and add my fat, I try to make about a 5% fat to 95% meat ratio, just my taste, and mix the seasoning with the meat and fat in a large pot before grinding. Grind it all up, my grinder has a small, med, large blade cutter, I cut with the medium. After it is ground, the trick to making it look like burger is adding a little water per pound after ground up, maybe a 1/4 cup per 2-3 lbs or so. Mix it by hand to get the water worked in and package up!

As for a grinder, I use one I bought a couple years back a Deni I think, hasdiffrent size sausage stuffers and cutting sizes as stated above.It is kinda slow but I have never had the blade sharpened and best I could count this year she has done almost 20 in the last 4 yrs. Ibroke itall the way down and cleaned every nook n cranny the last time I used it and reoiled every thing with food grade silicone. If I do not bag one tomorow I am posting it for sale, maybe $75 or so,otherwise it will be a couple weeks before I get rid of it.

Good luck either way you go!

·
Registered
749 Posts
angus_cow_doctor (3/1/2010)this is what I am thinking....

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B000KZ8Y7Q/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=284507&s=kitchen"]
[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Bearing-Grinder-VBelt-Pully-Plates/dp/B000KZ8Y7Q[/quote"]http://www.amazon.com/Bearing-Grinder-VBelt-Pully-Plates/dp/B000KZ8Y7Q[/quote[/ame]]

I like the way you think but, grinding a ruby red lips is easy to say 50# of vension. I have used the LEM #8 for three years now and it will grind it as fast I can drop a finger of meat down the opening.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Don't go with the cheap ones or you'll be replacing it every/every other year. I recommend the Cabela's Commercial Grade 1 hp. It's on sale right now for $426. It will be the last grinder you ever buy.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The above grinder is a Cabelas Model 22. They are on sale right now at Cabelas for $429 and they are well worth it. I have this exact model and it will grind as much as you want. It is a 1hp, 750 watt unit. They come a little larger & a little smaller. Here is the link to them.....

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0025603516401a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCHFEAT_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&QueryText=meat+grinder&sort=all&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23

1 - 14 of 14 Posts