Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Congrats to the winners at the MBGFC Labor Day Tourney. The MBGFC gave out 5-6 DJI Phantom drones. I just lost mine last week. If you won one and might want to sell it please contact me. Message me.

Or if you want to keep it and have any questions about it, contact me. I used mine for three weeks and loved it. Then it/I had an issue and it flew to I don't now the hell where. I have contacted the manufaturer and am waiting on a response.

Does anyone else have one? Have you had any problems?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. It seems so. I had flown it two dozen times without incident and it is really cool. It has an onboard GPS, video feedback to your iphone, etc. But when all that fails you don't know where it is at, where it is going or where it be now.

When posting my lost and found ad on Craigslist, I found two more mia drones of the same type. One in Gulfport and one in Milton.

·
Master of Disaster
3,043 Posts
Thought they were programmed to return to their point of launch if contact with the remote was lost?
I always thought that wouldn't be good if you were launching from a mobile platform, like a boat. But if land based station, it should return to you, right?

·
Registered
10,051 Posts
I'll bet it was hijacked by drone geek hackers. Maybe?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is supposed to return home. I flew it out of range on many occasions and it would return home. I would hear it coming back and when I could see it again, I would take back over and continue flying. On this particular "mission" something went wrong. Could be operator error. I was getting pretty good with it but maybe too comfortable flying in FPV mode. After researching all weekend, I am not the only person to experience this. If I get another one, I will not fly it out of my site. I would have no problem flying it from a boat and bringing it back as long as it was within my site. You could easily bring it back to your cokcpit and have someone grab it. It is very stable and will hover in a tight circle.

·
Banned
3,674 Posts
Didn't realize how easily those things crumple when hit with a tight pattern of #2 steel shot. Excellent practice for goose hunting.

Now, if that is your pot bellied pig running around my place, he is about to become a live target for the Matthews.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
We are on our second DJI Vision Plus 2 drone. Our first also did a fly away and crashed. I have learned soo much since that event. For one, the drone ships in DJI mode not NAZA mode, Naza mode having much better safety, recovery, come home abilities. I have also learned the importance of a good compass calibration in area clear of metals (even my wrist watch) etc... Once I switched to Naza flight mode my stability and reliability has greatly increased. I highly recommend making that change.

Good luck, they are amazing!

Reactions: THONAS J. RYAN

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks MSViking! If you know anyone who won one and doesn't feel the need to use it. Let me know. I am going to get another one. Waiting on DJI to get back with me. Did you try to get anything out of them? I expect this to be a dead end.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Water Boy, yes we tried everything we could to get DJI to take some ownership in our "fly away" and crash. Nothing happening there! We were able to recover our drone when it crashed, we were over water but amazingly it flew to land before crashing. Anyway it basically just damaged the camera and image stabilization system. Our quote to have it repaired was within $100 of an all new drone. Therefore the old drone is now just a paperweight. We are thinking of fixing it so that it can fly but trash the video and simply use it as a training drone so to speak.

·
Master of Disaster
3,043 Posts
help me out how do the drones help in blue water fishing ??
Don't know about anyone else... They're more of a toy / camera extension than an assist. It might help find some weed lines or surface fish activity. But I still think it's just another gadget.

Can't wait until I get one to play with!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We never got to use ours for bluewater fishing. I lost it before we got to fish again. But we were thinking for sure you can get some cool shots of the boat in action, you could fly off several hundred meters to see if you can see a weed line, you could fly up 400' and look around. Now you can't see good enough on your phone to see a fish, but you could bring the drone back, load in your laptop and see what is out there while you troll along. The battery is only good for 20 mins, so you can't send it from nipple to elbow..:)

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have one I bought on amazon and I got the protection plan. I am actually filing a claim on mine tomorrow. its supposed to cover accidental damage. I accidentally hit a tree. ill let you know how it goes. its supposed to cover all repairs

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
YEs! Please do. I am going to buy another and if I should by through amazon, I will. My problem is, I don't have anything to return. Just a sad face::(

1 - 20 of 32 Posts