Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get on as a mate this charter season. How hard do y'all think that would be for me? I have never been a mate before and would try my damnedest to be the best one. I took my first charter when I was 15, and have carefully observed the mates job carefully ever since. I know the basic stuff from freshwater fishing, like getting bird's nests out, tieing a couple of knots, cleaning fish, etc...but would love to move down to the pensacola/orange beach area to be a deckhand on a charter. So if your a Captain seeking a mate, gimme a call at (931)227-7147 or leave me a message. Thanks!

·
Banned
1,264 Posts
I believe you will need a TWIC card now to be a mate.Without alot of experience and anyone knowing you it might be hard to jump on a boat and go to work

·
Registered
237 Posts
you could try the charter boats at southwind marina i dont know if any of there deck hands are coming back next season , but good luck and have fun because there is nothing no funner then working on the water

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
walk the docks...talk to captains...dont be to pushy or beg..if you get turned down tell them thank you and give them your name and number and tell them if they need somebody in the future to please call you

·
Registered
415 Posts
is a mate/deckhand on charter boatconsidered a coast guard rating that requires a merchant mariners credential? i havent read the regs lately and may be wrong but i didnt think it was. and if it is not a coast guard credentialed rating then you should notbe required to havea TWIC.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
sail7seas (3/22/2010)is a mate/deckhand on charter boatconsidered a coast guard rating that requires a merchant mariners credential? i havent read the regs lately and may be wrong but i didnt think it was. and if it is not a coast guard credentialed rating then you should notbe required to havea TWIC.

might as well get a TWIC...it cant hurt you...might even help you

·
Registered
105 Posts
Man im 19 and from Tennesse and have been on this forum for several years trying to get a chance, walked the docks, and asked anyone that could possibly get me on a boat. I have been fortunate enough this year to get my story heard from a captain that is gonna give me the chance to do the job of my dreams. Like i say it did not just happen in one summer thats for sure but if you work hard enough at it and get your name out you may get your chance. I started fishing the piers about 7 years ago and i have gained a ton of knowledge off them. Maybe not most of the knowledge i need for a boat but it is an awesome place to start in my opinion. So to gain a little knowledge i reccomend there. Im very passionate about and if you are as much as i am then you will get your chance just never give up.

Best of luck to ya Brotha cause i have been in your shoes the past 7 years haha:letsdrink

·
Banned
1,264 Posts
sail7seas (3/22/2010)is a mate/deckhand on charter boatconsidered a coast guard rating that requires a merchant mariners credential? i havent read the regs lately and may be wrong but i didnt think it was. and if it is not a coast guard credentialed rating then you should notbe required to havea TWIC.
My buddy over in Destin just got his captians lic and says all mates have to have one now

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know...It'll be hard...I've been slinging gotchas since I was 7 or 8 at the PCB and GSP Piers, took my first partyboat at 14, First Charter at 15, and First Charter with no relatives aboard at 18. I have gained much experience through these things in 11 or 12 years. I hate that its a once or twice a year ordeal, and I know I won't be taking more trips than that a year, but the next best thing is helping people catch fish, showing your fishing knowledge to other people, and gaining more fishing knowledge throughout the whole experience. That's why I'd like to be a deckhand.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Walk the docks and get to know the people àt the marinas. ýour best bet is to find a charter captain and tell them ýou are willing to learn and would like to ride along for free. Majority of the times they will take you and if they like you they will ask you back and maybe even pay you. For what ýou are wanting to do no you do not need a TWIC cârd. They are required if you have your captains license and the only mates that have captains license are the ones working on boats that run 18 hrs two days and three days. It is required for the boat to have two captains and two mates aboard any trip that is 18 hrs or longer. All you will need is to be cpr certified and join the local drug consorium like orange beach would be the orange beach charter drug consordium where you will be in the random drug testing pool. I am a deckhand down here and if you have any questions shoot me a pm and I can help ya out. Good luck but don't try to make a career out of it charter fishing does not look good for our future!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay I just got off the phone with Outcast Marina in Orange Beach. The guy told me that basically the only way I'm going to get hired is if I put my hours in working at a shipyard cleaning boats, knocking off barnacles and oysters, sanding the boats, painting the boats, etc...I really don't think I'm gonna get hired.

·
Registered
184 Posts
That is if you are wanting the first mate position. You don't have enough experience. These bigger boats down here are always looking for a third mate to ride along on overnight trips. Come on down hand out some cards and you will get called sooner than later

·
eating tasty
3,874 Posts
Don't give up just yet, this is the perfect time of year to start looking for a job, not too late. If you put in the effort, it can be rewarding. I moved here 7 years ago from Mississippi and didn't know ANYONE, I had planned on just staying for the summer and getting a deckhand job and then going baqck to MS for school. Long story short, I walked the docks at Pensacola Beach marina, talked to a bunch of captains, and got a job from Bubba Thorson on the Chulamar where I worked for free the first week under another mate (bulldog burleson) who taught me everything I needed to know. I liked it, was good at it, and got the job for the summer. I ended up staying in Pcola, and have worked for a bunch of boats since then. It's a good summer job, if you don't mind being on the water everyday and working sometimes 30 days straight and doing nothing with your buddies at night because you get home at dark from cleaning the boat and you have to be up at 430 the next morning. Go by the Chulamar, or maybe another big head boat that sometimes uses more than 1 mate and give it a try. The experience you get from untangling 50 booby tourists lines is priceless :)

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Don?t give up just because you?re getting frustrated. If you want it bad enough you?ll do whatever it takes. Nothing worthwhile comes easy and if it?s something good everyone wants it but few are willing to put in the time. Good luck whatever you decide.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts