Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I fished the afternoon at Mulat Bayou. Near dusk, some decent trout started feeding on some very, very small baitfish. I think some sort of shad. Regardless, the trout didn't want anything to do with my Gulp on a jig head, or my Mirrolure MR-17. They took a couple of half-hearted swipes at my Spook Jr. top water, but never hooked up.

My question is how can you possibly bring a lure than matches the presentation of such small prey? The fish were clearly there and feeding, just not on what I was throwing at them, or anything remotely that large.

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,915 Posts
Tie up (or buy) a small, white clouser or deceiver & take the fly rod next time man!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Before I started fly fishing I would put a dropper about 18” behind a top water to a small fly or little unweighted soft plastic. That usually worked, they come to see the top water and eat the smaller bait

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Fishboy hit the nail on the head.

The trailer will catch a lot of Redfish that just follow some plugs too. If you rig it with Titanium wire you will have precious little tangling though rigging with Titanium isn't real easy to do right.

Lots of folks use a plastic bubble like they use on a straw rig but I like using a plug better.

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,913 Posts
A long time ago, I found a 2" topwater plug in the tackle box, removed the rear treble, tied on a length of leader to the rear and put on a small curly tail. In your case maybe crappie jig.
The boats that started gathering to join the action went crazy watching the kid hook up every cast and they got skunked. Slaying em with a Zebco and him doing everything. I quit fishing and just grinned and started unhooking and releasing. :yes:

double trout1fix.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts