Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand some massive Dutch skimmers are on the way. They have been proven effective on a spill off the coast of Spain. Why are we just now getting them???

Why not copy them and produce more to use on the spill??

Top kill has failed and the GOM as we know it will probably never be the same in our lifetime... How can BP or anyone for that matter pay for that

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I guess BP just heard there is an oil spill somewhere in the gulf!!!

I wonder why these vessels weren't contracted on the first day the spill was known?

Brent

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think the skimmers are vessels. They are more like rigid steel booms that attach to a ship and collect oil and water from the surface. They then transfer the mixture to separators on board the ship.

Thats why I said we should be able to reproduce them and attach them to domestic ships.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
These ar5e what I am thinkin' of and they are specialty vessels but the fact remains, no matter what a skimmer is, it should have been enroute as soon as spillage was evident...

Brent

·
Registered
76 Posts
hogdogs (30/05/2010)These ar5e what I am thinkin' of and they are specialty vessels but the fact remains, no matter what a skimmer is, it should have been enroute as soon as spillage was evident...

Brent
There was skimming equipment en route right away...of course that was also when everyone thought the leak was only a trickle and that the first dome idea would work. As great as it would be to have oil companies immediately contract 3/4ths of the world's oil containment equipment as soon as the first drop of oil hits the surface that's not feasible.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I agree that hiring that much gear for a drop would be silly. The fact is, that as soon as they knew we had a leak, it was far greater than a drop... even the first est. of 1k barrel per day and the time frame they admitted early on of august for a POSSIBLE shut down would have warranted a massive true clean up effort.

Within days they were looking at a minimum 5k barrel per day estimate and they still didn't make a big jump.

But I still stand firm that we should have seen every idea tried from early on...

Brent

·
Super Moderator
5,959 Posts
Boardfeet (30/05/2010)I understand some massive Dutch skimmers are on the way. They have been proven effective on a spill off the coast of Spain. Why are we just now getting them???

Why not copy them and produce more to use on the spill??

Top kill has failed and the GOM as we know it will probably never be the same in our lifetime... How can BP or anyone for that matter pay for that
There a link or something to this. I'd lik to see what they look like....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts