Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The shipis where it is, the buoy is where it is. Both have been there for a long time. If you can't track both positions, stay inside the pass. You shouldn't be out there anyway.

:usaflag::usaflag:usaflag

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Gump (2/25/2010)Diesel,.... couldn't agree more. As a boater, whether licensed or not, you are responsible for the safety of the vessel. This means being familiar with the waters in which you frequently transit. There are a multitude of publications that are readily available to the recreational boater as mentioned in the post buy Diesel. I would advise mariners to get the latest charts, Coast Pilot 5, check the USCG website for weekly corrections to these charts.

I for one am not disagreeing with this. I agree fully.

I do however, think a safety marker, should be near the unsafe object. That is, and has been my point. It's not a hard point to follow.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
........All I am saying is there is plenty of "Markers" of various types all around this area, and all over the country, that are close to the item they are intended to warn about. Like the "WARNING ROCKS" sign near the channel coming out by the Navy Base. It's actually near the rocks ( gasp, what a concept)........

Most if not all those markers are "Private Aids". There is a procedure to get them on the chart and they are maintained by someone other than the CG. Again the CG marks the channels for commerce. Going over to the Mass to get bait somehow doesn't seem fit into that catagory......

At night, why would you not want to run the range lights on the way in or out? Range lights.....? lol

1033 views, guess the word should be out by now.

Rock on

BillD

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
They need to put some sort of buoy at each end of the Mass. and leave the existing buoy where it presently is to avoid confusion. I have had close friends crash into it.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Going over to the Mass to get bait somehow doesn't seem fit into that catagory......

No kidding. I never said it did.

It appears this conversation has fragmented into several different points, which do not necessarily contradict each other. I think the real solution is leave the buoy there and put some kind of danger marker near the mass, and add that to new charts, and leaving the buoy will not invalidate the old charts. Problem solved, everyones happy.

·
Registered
292 Posts
choppedliver (2/26/2010)
Going over to the Mass to get bait somehow doesn't seem fit into that catagory......

No kidding. I never said it did.

It appears this conversation has fragmented into several different points, which do not necessarily contradict each other. I think the real solution is leave the buoy there and put some kind of danger marker near the mass, and add that to new charts, and leaving the buoy will not invalidate the old charts. Problem solved, everyones happy.

#1, Capital Idea. As I was trying to explain earlier there is a reason the existing buoy is where it is at. It is very unlikely that it will be relocated. Adding a danger marker is something that just may happen. Even so you still need to know it is there...zipping along at 25 kts especially at night you won't notice a danger marker until it's too late, unless you are looking for it. That's one of the reasons the existing buoy is where it is at, stay outside the buoy and you are in safe water. They are not going to rope off the Mass like the kiddie end of a municipal pool.

This is a sore subject with me which is why I probably came off harsh before. This topic comes up on here every so often. Last year a guy hit it, almost sinks his boat and almost kills his family.... Then to top it off he actually posts on here to, get this... ASK WHAT HE HIT! He had no idea there was even a wreck there. I'm sorry there is just no excuse for that, what a tool.

People forget there is a bottom out there under the water, people don't know that there are invisible highways called safety fairways which are for ships out there (btw there are no markers, you are expected to know where you are at and not obstruct them), Sailboaters think they have the right of way over power driven vessels all the time, WRONG. Boaters need to educate themselves for their own safety and the safety of others. Rant off.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts