Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With great pleasure I am announcing the launch of my business, Mason Mobile Marine Services.

My name is Corey Mason. Some of you know me, some not. I tend to only lurk on here without posting for the most part. Wife is a teacher, and I am a sign language interpreter both working in the school system. I have been attending George Stone for over a year in their top notch Marine program.

I had an idea to start a mobile service that comes to you (or your boat). I have been in process of launching the business since around December of 2017. I have built a rather impressive and highly professional "micro-workshop" from an enclosed trailer. It comes with everything I would need in a shop (lower unit stands, powerhead stands, gas/oil tanks, tools, work bench etc etc). From the pictures you can see, I even have the ability to reach out and grab motors from off the boat (or inside the boat) as needed for work.

I am humble enough to admit I am not a "top dog" technician in the area. I know that. I know several dealerships locally that have amazing technicians working for them! I am still confident in my work though. There is an annual marine mechanic competition that George Stone competes in. I placed in the regional competition. I then moved on to compete at the state level (Florida) where I took 1st place. Just last week we traveled to Louisville, KY where I competed at the national level and brought home 2nd place! Rest assured, I can hold my own!

I am located in Pace, but will be traveling in the Escambia and Santa Rosa area. Possibility for longer travel but the service fee may make it no longer cost effective.

I am very new to the "business" side of things and am still working on a solid pricing point for everything. I plan to stay competitive with local rates. As it is now, there is 1 hr service call just to come to the boat, and a 2 hour minimum. The hours are based of a flag rate. So if the standard to do "Job A" is 3 hours, I charge for 3 hours even if I needed 5 hours. I know I work slow. I don't have as much wrench time under my belt as a dealer tech that has been doing it for 10 years. By billing for flag hours on a job, that keeps things fair. I have a done a few jobs already and clients have been very pleased with my pricing point.

I will have diagnostic software very shortly (hopefully in a matter of a week or two) that will be capable of scanning/pulling hours of almost everything out there. Mercury/Mercruiser/Yamaha/Suzuki/BRP (Evinrude)/Honda/MEFI.

I am licensed and insured. I have business liability insurance. I'm not just another shade tree running around. I am a "legit" professional business. I am not a parts changer! I am skilled enough to test things to know for sure what is wrong without having to throw parts at it. If I come to you, and I am unable to figure out whats going on...I'm man enough to tell you I'm stumped and refer you to somebody that can help you.

I've always thought it was strange to charge people a diagnostic fee when they couldn't pin point the problem. If you call me for a problem and I show up and can't figure it out then I'm not going to charge you. I feel that if I can't figure it out, it means I wasn't equipped/skilled enough to handle the job. I don't feel it's right to charge you for my short-comings. It takes a lot to say that as I know there will be times I drive out of my way, spend hours of my time, and drive home empty handed. It's what I feel is right though. It also shows that I'm pretty confident in my ability to figure out the issue though!

Anyways, if you have any questions please feel free to call or text, or inbox me here.

Corey Mason
Mason Mobile Marine Services
[email protected]
850-368-1786

Attachments

·
Registered
637 Posts
Folks, I met Corey when I was one of the SROs at one of our high schools and I can vouch for his work ethic. He also has a great reputation as having a natural aptitude for working on engines as several people used him to diagnose and repair issues with their vehicles. Best of luck to you bud!:thumbup::thumbup:

Roger

·
OCD Reel Service/Repair
6,067 Posts
That is great and im sure you will succeed. Many other tech’s here went through the same program and they are doing very well.

If you are comfortable with seized bolts and screws and the unexpected you will do fine.

There is no better learning than doing.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So that's what that I beam trolley thread was all about. I hope the business takes off for you ! With your work ethic you should stay busy as hell.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Ha, good memory.

This trailer has had many, many minds influence the build. Some of your minds and input have been incorporated into the trailer too!

Ended up building a "cage" out of c channel...welded all together and bolted through the floor and sides. And then cut/welded trolleys upside down (wheels on the bottom) and that holds the ibeam. And then I have another trolley that rolls underneath the other trolleys. So the entire ibeam rolls out as you see, and the bottom trolley rolls out.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It looks good, you done a hell of a job !

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Thank you.

Means a lot. I've spent 6 months of sweat and blood building it. And I've spent over half a years salary just on building the trailer.

And I'll probably be working my first year "for free" to buy the left over special tools I need for various application.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
May give you a call this off season to raise my motors a couple holes and add transom wedges and change out some threw holes if that is something you may be interested in. Cant be missing any fishing time so will probably have to wait until November or December

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
May give you a call this off season to raise my motors a couple holes and add transom wedges and change out some threw holes if that is something you may be interested in. Cant be missing any fishing time so will probably have to wait until November or December
Absolutely! Wise planning.

Give me a call/text whenever your ready

·
Registered
9,798 Posts
The trailer looks cool! Business card could use some tweaking but that's just my two cents. Hopefully you can establish a client base quick and have them start advertising for you.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
My 2 cents; The best advertisement would be word of mouth not radio / T V . Be sure to fix the problem correctly the first time then price will not be an issue. Do not do credit; Boat leaves when job is paid for.
There is a strong need for what you are doing . Good Luck and hope to hear of your success.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The trailer looks cool! Business card could use some tweaking but that's just my two cents. Hopefully you can establish a client base quick and have them start advertising for you.
Appreciate the advice.

Here's the business card, double sided.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
My 2 cents; The best advertisement would be word of mouth not radio / T V . Be sure to fix the problem correctly the first time then price will not be an issue. Do not do credit; Boat leaves when job is paid for.
There is a strong need for what you are doing . Good Luck and hope to hear of your success.
I offered the same advice, word of mouth is everything. I was in Home Depot one day and heard some guys talking, ( wasn’t very good talk) ) and come to find out it was a local small business that I knew of. He is also on this form.!
Like I said on marketplace, just do good and don’t take on too much work at once.!

·
Registered
9,798 Posts
Agree big time with spreading yourself too thin. Another big help will be accurate and truthful COMMUNICATION. Dont sugar coat stuff, tell it like it is, dont try to let them down easy if their motor is half blown. Bandaids usually cause heartburn down the line and that can all come back on you.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts