Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
4,905 Posts
Just a lesson learned on the bouys. Attaching a chum bag to the marker bouy weight may seem like a good idea but it's not. I used to do that until Mr Shark grabbed the chum bag and swam off with it. I had to chase that bouy around for about 20 minutes before we could snag it.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
WesleyPipes (12/24/2009)dont know about the sure marker but the bandit has done us well. It seems the sure marker would be a better option though. the bandit auto sets so i throw the whole thing with weight over when we mark bottom and watch it work itself. I use a 10 lb bench press weight as buoy anchorwith acouplefeet of 40 lbmono tied to weight just in case it snags the bottom. Id just wrap line on a gaff pole and pull to break it off and save twine, luckily no snags yet.
I use about 4-5 feet of 1/16" stainless steel cable. This will prevent most of the abrasion on your line since the abrasion occurs close to the weight. I would ratherreplace the mason's twine than loose the buoy. The twine costs a couple of bucks as compared to the cost of the buoy. Be sure to inspect the twine regularly.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Kim (12/24/2009)Just a lesson learned on the bouys. Attaching a chum bag to the marker bouy weight may seem like a good idea but it's not. I used to do that until Mr Shark grabbed the chum bag and swam off with it. I had to chase that bouy around for about 20 minutes before we could snag it.
Soundslike poor seamanship to me. :poke

·
Banned
4,905 Posts
Hmmm never thought about the seamanship aspect of the evolution. However I did try to hail Mr Shark on channel 16, 68 and 72 to ask him to cease and desist evasive maneuvering, but it was to no avail, he must have had his radio off.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I've used both & prefer the Bandit as the SureMark is rather fragile & if you're not careful you'll break it, esp. the winding handle... Either way I've found that you really need 3 people to retrieve it. 1 to wind the reel, 1 to keep tension on the line, & 1 to pull up the weight. 2 people can do it, but it's a PITA & if you don't keep the right tension on the string it will get caught internally causing it to hang up upon deployment & you can lose the buoy....

·
Registered
344 Posts
use noodle... 3 cut @ 18 inches ... tied together.... see pic. does not tingle linewhen you drop it o/b.

Poppy (orange can see better)

·
Registered
444 Posts
Pierce07 (12/24/2009)I use the same think as Angus. Not the same style but same concept. Cost me about 8 or 9 bucks to make and hasn't let me down yet.
Works great!! Even a great perch for the birds!! Great for marking a dropped speargun too!

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
REEL STAMAS (12/25/2009)I've used both & prefer the Bandit as the SureMark is rather fragile & if you're not careful you'll break it, esp. the winding handle... Either way I've found that you really need 3 people to retrieve it. 1 to wind the reel, 1 to keep tension on the line, & 1 to pull up the weight. 2 people can do it, but it's a PITA & if you don't keep the right tension on the string it will get caught internally causing it to hang up upon deployment & you can lose the buoy....
Three people to retrieve a buoy? You must be a union man. LOL

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Orion45 (12/25/2009)
REEL STAMAS (12/25/2009)I've used both & prefer the Bandit as the SureMark is rather fragile & if you're not careful you'll break it, esp. the winding handle... Either way I've found that you really need 3 people to retrieve it. 1 to wind the reel, 1 to keep tension on the line, & 1 to pull up the weight. 2 people can do it, but it's a PITA & if you don't keep the right tension on the string it will get caught internally causing it to hang up upon deployment & you can lose the buoy....
Three people to retrieve a buoy? You must be a union man. LOL
No, I don't think that is union logic. Sounds like government logic to me......:doh

·
Registered
80 Posts
Orion45 (12/24/2009)
WesleyPipes (12/24/2009)dont know about the sure marker but the bandit has done us well. It seems the sure marker would be a better option though. the bandit auto sets so i throw the whole thing with weight over when we mark bottom and watch it work itself. I use a 10 lb bench press weight as buoy anchorwith acouplefeet of 40 lbmono tied to weight just in case it snags the bottom. Id just wrap line on a gaff pole and pull to break it off and save twine, luckily no snags yet.
I use about 4-5 feet of 1/16" stainless steel cable. This will prevent most of the abrasion on your line since the abrasion occurs close to the weight. I would ratherreplace the mason's twine than loose the buoy. The twine costs a couple of bucks as compared to the cost of the buoy. Be sure to inspect the twine regularly.
the point is to just break off the weight and keep all else. then u can just grab any junk metal to replace the buoy weight

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
WesleyPipes (12/26/2009)
Orion45 (12/24/2009)
the point is to just break off the weight and keep all else. then u can just grab any junk metal to replace the buoy weight
If you're fishing, I'll have to concede that a weaker leader is better than the stainless steel cable. Since I use the buoy primarily for diving, I prefer the ss cable leader to reduce the abrasion on theline and avoid it from breaking while I'm under. My leader is easily detached since I have a snap swivel on each end. I will make another leader with 40# mono for the times when I'm fishing only. :) :)

21 - 33 of 33 Posts