Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a marker buoy. The SureMark brand looks good. Has anyone had any experience with this one or are there other buoys out there that are better. Thanks for your replies

·
Registered
842 Posts
I've had both and the Sure Marker for me worked the best, easiest to see and easiest to retrieve with their line cranking system.

Ted

·
stonecoldshooter
1,757 Posts
Don't know the brand mine is. Yellow ball, grey body, pop up tube for glow stick, and a crank handle system. Hands down the best. $80

Used all the others and this one is easy to use/see.

·
Registered
698 Posts
The OLE There It Is.

The bouy, I have tried 3 different bouys throughout my fishing career. The yellow ball one mentioned above & the orange round one & a good OLE fashion bleach jug. The yellow ball one is worthless to me, as is the orange one also. The yellow ball I use for lineing soccer fields!!!!!! The retreive is very slow, and if you just toss it in the water when it pops back up it tends to backlash and get all wrapped around the outside of the spool. Tension must be kept on the line while retrieving the bouy weight. The orange one, well , I just didn't like it. IF , now thats a BIG IF, I use a bouy now I use a bleach jug. If you fish at nite you can put a glow stick in the bleach jug and the whole jug will glow like a lightbulb!!!! No spotlight needed to see the glowstick jug at nite, it will literally glow like a lightbulb. I found that a bouy will get in the way more than anything once in the water. A bouy can be great cause it can take the guessing game out of finding the wreck. I use window weights for a bouy weight. I really don't like using a bouy at all. I feel like I have graduated from a bouy.

Now all the above I've mentioned is just my opinion and what works best for me.

·
Really Senior Member
485 Posts
Suremark is the best.

The Bandit brand will not hold up.

Be sure and put a net float on the crank handle or you WILL lose it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Its pretty easy and a heck of a lot cheaper to make your own. I made mine with a crab pot bouy (5 bucks), 100 feet of nylon rope (10 bucks) a cinderblock I broke in half (1.50) and since it doesn't have a reel it is a tad messier but store it in a 5 gallen bucket (3 bucks) and you have a bouy thats less thanhalf the price of the store bought ones.

Also if you go this route you can try to save a litte money by using a catfish trotline mainline, but it doesn't work unless you have a reel. The thinner diameter stuff is a pain to pick up and can cut your hands, so stick with the nylon stuff.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The sure Mark is great.The crank handle comes off. Don't remember the crankshaft size but i thinkit is 5/16. cordless drill and it scoots right up!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Not sure the brand on mine. Fluorescent orange/red built in crank handle, comes with 250 of nylon cord built in, also has a plastic fin to keep it oriented into the current. Bought it at bass pro in Destin and so far it has worked great. DO NOt drop it right on the wreck. Those 5 pound weights are expensive! Live and learn.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Sea Monkey (3/19/2010)The OLE There It Is.

The bouy, I have tried 3 different bouys throughout my fishing career. The yellow ball one mentioned above & the orange round one & a good OLE fashion bleach jug. The yellow ball one is worthless to me, as is the orange one also. The yellow ball I use for lineing soccer fields!!!!!! The retreive is very slow, and if you just toss it in the water when it pops back up it tends to backlash and get all wrapped around the outside of the spool. Tension must be kept on the line while retrieving the bouy weight. The orange one, well , I just didn't like it. IF , now thats a BIG IF, I use a bouy now I use a bleach jug. If you fish at nite you can put a glow stick in the bleach jug and the whole jug will glow like a lightbulb!!!! No spotlight needed to see the glowstick jug at nite, it will literally glow like a lightbulb. I found that a bouy will get in the way more than anything once in the water. A bouy can be great cause it can take the guessing game out of finding the wreck. I use window weights for a bouy weight. I really don't like using a bouy at all. I feel like I have graduated from a bouy.

I,m with sea monkey, I have had all three and the jugs wind up easiest.I used 3 and wrote on the sidehow much line was on. 100', 125' and 150'. You are much better off getting a good compass and zooming in you gps to 120' or 80' scale. (make sure your gps is set so that north always points up). If you add up the time you spend winding up the buoy, clearing lines from people snagging it or it catching it on the motors as you drift over or try to hold on your spot its really not worth using.

·
Registered
9,195 Posts
Tidewater1 (3/21/2010)Not sure the brand on mine. Fluorescent orange/red built in crank handle, comes with 250 of nylon cord built in, also has a plastic fin to keep it oriented into the current. Bought it at bass pro in Destin and so far it has worked great. DO NOt drop it right on the wreck. Those 5 pound weights are expensive! Live and learn.
The orange ones are called Bandit Buoys.

·
Registered
8,959 Posts
1bandit (3/21/2010)
Sea Monkey (3/19/2010)The OLE There It Is.

I,m with sea monkey, I have had all three and the jugs wind up easiest.I used 3 and wrote on the sidehow much line was on. 100', 125' and 150'. You are much better off getting a good compass and zooming in you gps to 120' or 80' scale. (make sure your gps is set so that north always points up). If you add up the time you spend winding up the buoy, clearing lines from people snagging it or it catching it on the motors as you drift over or try to hold on your spot its really not worth using.
good advise. it just takes a little practice. you can also set up your map screenwhere it has two windows( bearing and distance to), when you find your structre hit the MOB button. your bearing and distance will be right there the whole time telling you exactly what to do. it is also easier to hold up in reverse if the seas will let you.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Iuse the do-it-yourself buoy. Get the large size water noodle - I prefer the orange color. (They come in two diameters, get the larger diameter.) Cut into lengts of a foot to 18 inches. (Your choice, based on storage room.) Put heavy nylon line (like trot line cord) on each and mark the length of the line on each with a permanent felt tip pen. For insatnce, have a 90 foot, 110 foot, 130 foot - depends on the depth of the water you normally fish. Put a large snap on the end of the line wrapped around each buoy. For a weight use a 5 lb dumbell from Walmart - get the ones dipped in plastic so they don't chip your gel coat and don't rust. Simple pull out the bouy with the needed length of line wrapped around it, take a couple of wraps of the end of the line around the dumbell and then snap it to the main line and toss it in. The noodle spins and the weight goes down without a tangle. When you retrieve just wrap the line around the bouy. It's simple and cheap.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts