Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tired of buying these cheap stereo units that only last a year or two and then just fail

The buttons either don't work,the tuner just changes by it self, the CD sticks...ect..ect.

Looking for advice on a stereo the I can mount on the center console and it be tough enough take the abuse of being in the weather and last me for a while.

What kinda of system do you run and how long has it lasted for you?

PM me if you havea stereo thatyour interested in selling and would fit my needs.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
http://www.boemarine.com/Products/MSR2007/Default.aspx

that is what i have...it has the head unit that is water-proof and a seperate "brain box" that you can mount out of the elements and run your wires to your head unit...i have had this a few months and love it, a few others have had a few years and talked me into it and they havent had any problems yet with it...it has sirus and a ipod hook up so you can listen to sat radio and your ipod

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Try something like this. I had one but I had tomake an aluminum bracket because the original plastic bracket broke.

Also, I used connectors instead of hardwiring the leads to make iteasier removing the entire unit, when needed.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I know I'm not answering your question, but 1 option is buying whatever you like from some place like 'Best Buy' & also BUY the Extended Replacement Warranty & when it craps out in 2-3 yrs as most do, just return it for a replacement...

·
Registered
337 Posts
Dont know if it is reasonable for you to do so, but check out the Sony outlet at silver sands here in a hurry. All of their boat/car audio stuff is 30% off until the new year I think. They have a couple of very nice marine units in there for $70-150 with the discount. I will be getting one if I can get back over there. Also, you can buy there replacement plan for $20 or so, which, as mentioned above is really worth it for this marine equipment. I have a Sony marine amp in my boat now that I purchased from there and have been happy with it.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fisheye48 (12/26/2009)http://www.boemarine.com/Products/MSR2007/Default.aspx

that is what i have...it has the head unit that is water-proof and a seperate "brain box" that you can mount out of the elements and run your wires to your head unit...i have had this a few months and love it, a few others have had a few years and talked me into it and they havent had any problems yet with it...it has sirus and a ipod hook up so you can listen to sat radio and your ipod
This is the style I have been looking at, I noticed that they are using these on most of the newer boats.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
reelfinatical (12/26/2009)We have that Jensen posted in the link. 2 years, no problems. We use the Ipod connection most of all.
Question for you: Do you have the receiver mounted on the boat and do you leave it there or do you remove it when not in use?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Let me see how much of this I remember...The main "face" part of the stereo is mountedbeside the Garmin... the "power box" is mounted inside the head. Small holes are drilled that run the cords thru the fiberglass to each other. Template for all this was in the box, if not I'm sure they're online. When tightened down with the screws, the rubber on the back of the Jensen face seals out water. Then the white ipod cable runs through from thebox to our ipodvia another small hole big enough for the wire to pass thru,with agromet (from west marine?)in that holewhere water can not get in. We have a small sucker cupbeside the Jensen that holds our ipod.We keep the jensen "face" & everything else but the ipodon the boat all the time. Is any of thatanswer what you're asking about?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Kenwood makes a very good marine stereo, we've had ours going on 4 years now with no problems what so ever. Stay away from clarion the cd player will bite the dust before the years up. West marine can order the kenwoods for you and offers the extended service plan for an additional 10 - 15 bucks if your unit stops performing to your expectations take it back within 2 or 3 years and you get a BRAND new unit even if your old one is in pieces.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I have a Cape Horn 17 also. I honestly don't think you'll find a stereo that will stand up to the beating it will be subjected to. I tried expensive marine grade stereos with little luck. Then I started replacing them with cheap ones. After my Bose speakers descentigrated I just gave up. Sometimes I just take a boom box but storage is also a problem. Between '96 and '08 I went through6 stereos and most of the time I was doing good to have one channel working. I don't ever remember having a CD player work more than 2 or 3 trips. I've also been through 3 fishfinders, 1 Loran, and 2 GPSs. My Standard Eclipse VHF is the only electronics that has held up (except the antennaes I broke of on overpasses and bridges). Hope you have better luck.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Orion45 (12/26/2009)Try something like this. I had one but I had tomake an aluminum bracket because the original plastic bracket broke.

Also, I used connectors instead of hardwiring the leads to make iteasier removing the entire unit, when needed.
<P style="BACKGROUND: white"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">If you do get a box like this I had the same problem with the bracket. Poly Planar sells a replacement bracket and wouldn't you know the replacement bracket is metal. Why not just givea metal one to start.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks birdsnest,good info. seems to be my luck as well.

Orion45and Mguns, I have one of those mounted inside the console, with just the face sticking outand still have issues with moisture ruining my units.

I have been removing my other electronics and keeping them inside whilethey are not in use on the boat...as I have moisture problems with them as well.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Just buy the cheapest cd player you can buy at like walmart and when it goes bad in a year buy a new one.

I have NEVER actually seen a cd player last on a boat for more than a few years. People will talk and say they have had the same one for a while but, i have NEVER seen it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts