Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Glad they got them, but the penalty doesn't seem to fit the crime.

They face fines UP TO $500????

how much would 300 pounds of crabs go for? A whole hell of a lot more than $500.

·
Fish Alot Catch None
1,142 Posts
After the recent shake up in their Marine Patrol Dept I am surprised that it wasn't people that worked at the Marine Patrol Dept. Of course all of the one busted were administrators.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
awesome

The best part is they sold the crabs and not just let them rot as evidence now if FWC would follow that model maybe they could get a little funding for once. The local LEOs sell cars and stuff all the time the feds sell seized items so why cant they do it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
If you read the field operation reports for Florida they are busting commercial fishermen all the time. Many have lots of convictions yet they still have a commercial license. This I don' understand. Lose there lic. and lose there living. Then they will take notice.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Did you read that the crabs were sold instead of released back into the water where the came from. Did the owners of the traps get that money and their traps back as recompensation?
Also the men were busted to having unmarked crab traps.
It sounds like all i have to do is have marked buoys hanging in the water for a while to look like my other traps and attach them to my stolen traps and the fwc has no real way of saying they are not mine as long as i have the proper license they don't care anyway because I paid them.

If I were to get a small trawler and commercial license and crab, what cost effective things could I do to keep my traps mine? Besides sitting out there with a rifle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts