Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
OSOK
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't see that anyone had already posted this....sad.

This report represents some events the FWC handled over the past week; however, it does not include all actions taken by the Division of Law Enforcement.
Patrol, Protect, Preserve
NORTHWEST REGION
SANTA ROSA COUNTY
Lieutenants Doug Berryman and Mark Hollinhead, along with Officers David Jernigan and Joe Murphy, responded to a hunting accident in the Blackwater State Forest. Once on scene, officers learned a hunter had been shot in the back from a bow and arrow and was air-lifted to Baptist Hospital in Pensacola. Additionally, the subject who shot the victim fled the scene and failed to render aid. The officers’ investigation revealed that while the victim was preparing to climb a tree, he was shot in the back with an arrow. A friend of the victim came to his aid and transported him out of the woods to the Munson Fire Department. Officers found evidence at the scene that led them to a suspect in Milton. Officers interviewed the suspect and were able to obtain a confession from him stating that he had shot at what he thought was a deer. The suspect admitted hearing a person scream for help but said he fled the scene because he was scared. Charges are pending.

http://floridasportfishing.com/maga...ions-weekly-report-october-26-november-1-2012

·
Registered
578 Posts
I call bs on the suspects story. No way of confusing a person with a deer within bow range. I'm guessing he was pissed someone was hunting that close to him, probably tried to hit next to the guy, but made contact. I wonder how they found out who it was?

·
OSOK
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I call bs on the suspects story. No way of confusing a person with a deer within bow range. I'm guessing he was pissed someone was hunting that close to him, probably tried to hit next to the guy, but made contact. I wonder how they found out who it was?
Either that or the guy was high or something.....either way how do you just leave the guy screaming for help???

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
If you can't tell the difference between a deer and a person then you don't have the sense to be breathing good air much less hunting. Beyond stupid!!!

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Don't ya know those bucks that climb trees and wear orange are the best bucks.

Doesn't sound accidental to me, especially in range of a bow. Exactly why I've never hunted public land.
Orange isnt required during archery but you are right definitley not an accident. Does any one know the condition of the victim? Or who either of them are?

·
Registered
7,431 Posts
Take a minute and think about this idiots shooting decision.
He should be banned for life.
Does anybody know the condition of the victim ?
Very sad, and so unnecessary.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
We were talking about it the other day and you know he is lying. I would bet he was mad and without thinking shot the guy or flung one in his direction that deflected and ended up hitting him. Either way I agree on a life ban anytime you shoot another human being while hunting. Unless I guess if you are dove hunting because I know how pellets can pepper you across the field. Did a search and couldn't find the suspects name or the injured persons name. Hope he's alright.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I searched it on google turns out it was a 16 year old boy the only thing i can imagine happened was it was still dark and he seen the guys shadow and made a shot letting his nerves get the best of him. But theres still no excuse for him not helping him. but if someone shot me with a bow and they tried helping me i would probably take my knive out and stab them if i was capable of doing it.

·
Squid technician
10,506 Posts
Relax guys, he thought it was one of those camouflaged tree deer that are so abundant around here.

What a moron, does he really think that anyone is going to buy that weak story? It's one thing to get hit by a stray bullet that was fired from a considerable distance, but a bow? Give me a break

·
Registered
340 Posts
i bet he got pissed that some one was in his spot and draw on him thinking it was cool and bump the trigger what a ass. I always said if i hunted bw i would stop come gun season i guess bow is out now.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I searched it on google turns out it was a 16 year old boy the only thing i can imagine happened was it was still dark and he seen the guys shadow and made a shot letting his nerves get the best of him. But theres still no excuse for him not helping him. but if someone shot me with a bow and they tried helping me i would probably take my knive out and stab them if i was capable of doing it.
I agree! If someone shot me with a bow and came within distance I'd let my Sig eat their ass up.

·
Registered
14,911 Posts
Ok - thinking it was an accident and if it was....You know 16 year olds aren't the best decision makers in the world.......16 huh?......... 16............think I will back off on this one. I remember being 16 and how a lot of immature decisions could have possibly put me in just as bad a situation. Still bothered by him leaving an injured man but ....16.......I guess he was hunting alone, so not with a friend or father.... 16. Yall really gonna knife a 16 year old? I'll pass judgement on this one

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
.......16 huh?......... 16............think I will back off on this one. I remember being 16 and how a lot of immature decisions could have possibly put me in just as bad a situation. Still bothered by him leaving an injured man but ....16.......I guess he was hunting alone, so not with a friend or father.... 16. Yall really gonna knife a 16 year old? I'll pass judgement on this one
Dont think i really would but ive never had an arrow shot through me either. im actually seeing where it could have been an accident, if it was still dark and the victim come slipping in without a light i could see how he may have thought it was a deer and just shot at movement letting his nerves get to him especially if hes never shot one with a bow.my nerves still get to me and ive killed plenty of deer but i do make sure its a deer.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts