Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<SPAN class=pp>No one was hurt Thursday afternoon when a boat capsized near the Pensacola Bay Bridge.<SPAN class=aa><DIV class=articleflex-container><DIV class=articleflex><DIV id=adcontainer___gelement_adbanner_0><DIV id=__gelement_3>The Gulf Breeze Fire Department was called about 2:20 p.m. about the boat. </DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV>

The department launched a boat into the water and began to look for the man who was on the boat. The man?s name was not immediately available.

When rescuers reached the man, he was on another boat, Gulf Breeze Fire Capt. Frances Spearing said.

Another rescue boat was launched in Pensacola but it returned to shore after rescuers learned the pilot was safe.

The Gulf Breeze rescuers returned to their fire station after talking with the man and determined he was OK.

The man stayed behind on the second boat to make sure he was able to get his capsized boat back to shore, officials said.<SPAN class=aa><DIV class=clear></DIV><DIV class=padding><DIV class=articlecommentslink-nocomments><DIV class=articlecommentslink-padding></DIV></DIV></DIV>

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
SMALL CRAFT SHOULD EXERCISE CAUTION

TONIGHT
SOUTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. SEAS 3 TO 5 FEET. BAYS
AND COASTAL WATERWAYS CHOPPY TO ROUGH. AREAS OF FOG NEAR THE COAST.

FRIDAY
SOUTHEAST WINDS AROUND 20 KNOTS BECOMING SOUTH IN THE LATE
MORNING AND AFTERNOON. SEAS 4 TO 6 FEET. BAYS AND COASTAL WATERWAYS
ROUGH. CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

Pretty rough out there sounds like........

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Good to hear he survived and was okay. Plus, was able to retrieve his boat back to the landing too! That bay can be relentless and unforgiving when the conditions kick up!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Glad to hear the guy is OK. I know I press the limits at time because I want to fish so bad butthen I read about something like thisitmakes me much more cautious. Unfortunately that wears off before too long and I'm back to saying, "yeah I think I can make it".Hope he can repair his boat without spending too much $$$$.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
its ridiculous how many small boats have sunk or capsized at the 3 mile bridge in just the past couple of years. It always amazes me to see 14' river boats out in the middle of the bay. I guess they think that they'll be ok in a small boat since its only the bay. Hell a few weeks ago i saw a 12-14' flat bottom jon boat all the way over by palafox, whats even better is it had two grown men and half a 55 gallon drum as a livewell sitting in the middle. couldn't of had more than 4 inches of freeboard.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I refuse to take my small 16 foot aluminum boat that far out for precisely this reason. I crossed the sound one night and it was really too rough to be out there. I was taking waves over the bow. Said I would NEVER do that again.:doh

1 - 11 of 11 Posts