Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just have a quick question, well actually 2. Is the long fin or short fin Mako Protected? SecondlyIf you catch one is it like with a sword fish or marlin where you have to report it upon return to your boat landing? just wondering I would like to have these questions answered because we are lookin at going out to try and catch one on monday if we ca rustle one up from the depths. thanks all

·
Super Moderator
12,960 Posts
long fin IS protected...

not sure if you have to report one after catching it...

EDIT.... you may want to go to the edge and catch a bunch of blackfin tuna, then rig a whole one on a 50w and let 'er dig... i think that would be the best chance at catching a mako this time of year.... ooh, chum like hell.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I believe in fed waters you have to report I know you need the migratory permit. I don't know about state waters on the reporting issue. If you do get one report it to us anyway:poke They are very good eating I do know that much.

·
Super Moderator
12,960 Posts
kanemano (11/6/2007)...They are very good eating I do know that much.
DAMN GOOD EATING!!!:hungry

and mako's are usually on the LARGE side... so don't forget to share some of that meat...:poke

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
2,261 Posts
Longfin protected. Shortfin open game,HMS permit required in fed. waters(1 per boat per day I believe) but I would get the permit in case it drags ya out from state waters. Not required to report but I would. Good luck,be safe and watch out for the bullets in the steaks:shedevil

1 - 5 of 5 Posts