Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Yakadoodledo
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow! I didn't have a single bite in 3 hours of peddling around. However, it was a blast to see what this thing can do. Since it was my first time out, I didn't focus so much on fishing, I focused on control.
The only time I felt a little iffy was when a boat came within 40 yards and created a wake. I learned I need to get the front of the kayak facing into the wake.
I covered a lot of water in that 3 hours. I didn't get on the water until around 11am. Tomorrow I plan to be on the water around 8am.
I set up and used the new Hummingbird Fishing Buddy 120 I bought yesterday and was able to see a few fish.
I was pretty much the only one out there, except for two motor boats, fishing.
I can't believe I never thought to fish out of a kayak all the years I have been fishing.
It was peaceful and relaxing. I think I am going to sleep well tonight.
Joe

·
Registered
105 Posts
There are very few things that are as relaxing as fishing out in a kayak, nor as exciting as being towed around in one by a big fish! Enjoy!

·
Registered
478 Posts
You have found my secrete Joe. Do the time on the water and you will catch fish. I have funerals today and tomorrow so probably won't see you out there, but have a ball and God bless.

·
Yakadoodledo
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Yakadoodledo
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You have found my secrete Joe. Do the time on the water and you will catch fish. I have funerals today and tomorrow so probably won't see you out there, but have a ball and God bless.
I'm gonna head out in a few minutes. Tomorrow is dr appt day. I probably won't go out tomorrow since my appt is at 12:40.

·
Yakadoodledo
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
4 hrs peddling in wind is like 6 hrs normal peddling. Wore me plum out. Had a couple bites but didn't land anything. I was using vudu shrimp both days. I guess when I go out Monday I will try live bait. Anyone know where to get the best deal on a cast net? I can only throw a 4-5' net. I hate to buy bait when the whole idea is once my original setup is done I won't have any expenses to go fishing.
I haven't fished much in the last 4 yrs and don't know where I should be going or what is actually around this time of year. I have a learning curve to go through.
I think I will try Archie Glover park Monday.

·
Tangle Master
3,308 Posts
When I had my Mariner I didnt worry about boat wakes. Its a super stable kayak and a true catamaran. I have thrown my cast net on mullet from mine, sight fished reds under 3 mile while standing and never felt unsafe. I will recommend you get a 8' Yak Attack Park'n'Pole. I caught more reds with the drive up and the push pole across my lap than anywhere else.

·
Registered
14,623 Posts
I found (bait net) one at academy a couple years ago, one of the ones in the small plastic tubs. I guess it works ok. Not as good as some of the ones I've had in the past. AG is a good place to yak but the fishing there for me has not been very good the last several summers. Hoping to get some specks in the deep water around the landing in January. Good luck Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

·
Yakadoodledo
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wife told me to fishing today. She wants to sleep in. So I am loaded up and about to head to Archie Glover weather permitting.

·
Yakadoodledo
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good luck Joe. Watch for that line of showers heading our way.
I stayed out till about 11. No bites. It started to rain so I headed to the dock. About the time I got loaded up the sun came out. It was a lot easier for me to launch and load up at Archie Glover. I will probably go back there Monday. Didn't really get to check it out very good. There were a couple guys out in a boat that said they caught several trout Friday.
Plan to see ya at church tomorrow.
Joe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts