Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter turns 13 in April. When asked what she wants for her birthday, she said she wants to catch some Mahi Mahi.

So, (a) I believe that the season starts for Mahi right around April, correct?

(b) Any recommended charters out of Destin, Pensacola, etc that may help us find some Mahi?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
937 Posts
Pretty much June - September here. They are bigger in September. You can use the search function looking for the mention "mahi" in "offshore reports" to check for what is liable to be biting in the area.

It starts in the Keys in April.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The earliest I have ever stumbled into them was early May; weedline 20 or so miles south of Dauphin Island had a pallet floating in it, and the chickens were swarming. Absolutely the most fun hour or so fishing in my life! We found a few the next day as well on another weed line, but the pallet must have been the Ritz to the dolphin.

·
Registered
78 Posts
You don't often find Mahi in below 78 degree water temp. Mahi season will start around Mid to late April in the Keys, but you won't start seeing them up here until much later.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
That mahi in my avatar was caught in early March, 2007 shortly after we bought our current boat. I know it was a fluke, but it was the first fish ever landed on the boat.
As others said, it could happen, but it would not be a sure thing this time of year.
Best of luck to your daughter what ever you do!

·
MILF - Man I Love Fishing
924 Posts
I hope you're able to find some mahi. Like Weatherman said, mahi fishing is some of the most fun fishing you can do. She'll have a blast.

I would also recommend either making a trip south or booking a charted later in the summer.

·
OSOK
4,172 Posts
Yes, you can catch mahi in April if you do a full day going offshore. It’s never a guarantee, but definitely doable. Last year two of the biggest bulls of the year came in April. They are water temp driven, and they don’t have a calendar like we do so if the water temp is right they will be around, especially in spring. We caught a few on our trip two days ago up to 20 lbs, and lost a bull about 35 lbs. Not typical for January, but the water temp is where it needs to be where we were fishing and the fish were there.

*I like to see at least 72 degree water, but have caught them in 70.

·
OSOK
4,172 Posts
These pics are March and April mahi. Your chances get better a little later in the year, but typically if you don’t mind making a longer run they are there to be caught.

Well I can only load one pic at a time apparently, but you get the point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts